Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Standing corn or standing beans?

kawi.vn750

Haven't seen many deer in the last couple of weeks! I'm privileged to be hunting on private land that tends to hold a lot of deer. What I am wondering is where did all the deer go. Are they in the corn? Which is better hunt corn or beans?

kawi.vn750

I'm currently hunting a bean field and haven't seen many deer lately. Did they move into the corn? Which is better to hunt, corn or beans?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Once beans start changing too brown go too the corn.... That's where they'll be unless you've got a Suply of acorns around....

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
The consensus is usually that once the beans turn brown, they often move elsewhere to feed. They are most likely in corn for cover/bed, but I would try to find a good food (acorns) or water source and catch them coming out. if you can find that entry/exit to and from the standing corn you have it made, but from my experience in NW Ohio, that can be anywhere!

Best of luck out there!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I rather hunt standing corn field edges or just cut corn fields then bean fields. the deer here in north central Ohio where I'm at they seem to hit the beans when they get about knee high but then they leave them alone. Then the corn gets to about waist high they start staying in the corn fields until they are cut. Only time they come out of that corn is after dark to hit acorns and get a drink but as long as the sun is out they stay in the corn. On my property they don't start venturing out of that corn on a regular basis during the day until after the beans are cut, acorns are falling, and the corn stalks are dried and making a lot of loud noise when the wind blows. THAT is when they start coming to the edges of the corn and you get a chance at them. After the corn is cut you get about a week where you might get one out into the field but then they are back into the woods after that.

Corn fields over beans all the way.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I fuggin hate standing corn, the deer don't leave the corn for shit. It sucks old balls!!!

Its got its pros and cons. It will hold big deer, and when it comes off you know they are around. It also is a great late season food source, unlike beans. The corn is still standing around my 2 best spots, didn't see any shooters over the weekend, once it gets cut they have to come in the woods, and I'll be waiting.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Does anyone try hunting standing corn on a windy day ? I'd like to try catching them bedded as ya walk across peering down the rows if I had any. They really wouldn't hear ya with all that noise.

I've heard of guys doing it with snow on and tracking them into standing corn when it is windy. The size of the corn fields in my area would make it tough to just walk around without being able to track them.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I knew an old feller when I hunted in NY years ago who claimed he shot a few deer still hunting corn during gun season. He said he'd peer down each row both ways and if he saw nothing he moved to the next row. Not sure if he was BSing me or not but it sounds like it could work.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Stalking deer into standing corn would be rough. Don't see how it would be possible for archery but maybe possible during gun season. My FIL said he has done it but don't know if he was every successful.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
On a windy or rainy day it works.My buddy Kevin and I have done it and they if they see you they give you a WTH look.
My buddy has shot a couple bucks doing this it just works better if you only have one or two fields left standing.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The DVD "hunting October whitetails" explains hunting deer in standing corn. I have it if anyone wants to watch it. Its old school.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Be tough with a compound, I 2 old think an xbow or a recurve would do it though.

I have a farm I hunt that always puts their beans in late. Sometimes they aren't ready yet when the snow starts flying (they are just now turning brown this year). When this happens he usually leaves them. In that case they are a magnet in late season.