Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Standing corn or standing beans?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Not trying this method more often while I had the opportunity is one of my biggest regrets. You just never know what lies in the next row ! Plus it's fun to be sneaky.

But man could it suck real quick. You take a 100-200 acre field of corn and go row by row and you can only see maybe 15-20' each way it could take all day to walk it as slow as you need to go to hunt it effectively. The corn fields back in the day had fewer cobs and fewer leaves and you could see a little further then you can today. I can only thing gun or recurve bow is about the only way your going to hunt a corn field these days. By the time you sneak a peak into the next row and see a deer your going to have to be fairly quick on the draw to get that shot off being that deer is going to be very close when you step into that row for the shot.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well I certainly would not attempt such a large field. Just the same, that's what's nice about standing corn ... just work it at your convenience. That's why you need a good windy day & good scent control as well. It has been a while since I attempted this, but it was more about just giving it a try rather than staying home since I hate windy days.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Well I certainly would not attempt such a large field. Just the same, that's what's nice about standing corn ... just work it at your convenience. That's why you need a good windy day & good scent control as well. It has been a while since I attempted this, but it was more about just giving it a try rather than staying home since I hate windy days.

We flatlanders don't have much choice in a smaller field lol. It would be kind of fun to mess around trying sometime. Scent control in a field of corn is hard. That wind swirls in there so bad it's not funny. The only good thing about that is the deer have a hard time pin pointing where you are to

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Be tough with a compound, I 2 old think an xbow or a recurve would do it though.

I have a farm I hunt that always puts their beans in late. Sometimes they aren't ready yet when the snow starts flying (they are just now turning brown this year). When this happens he usually leaves them. In that case they are a magnet in late season.

Must be 2nd crop beans after they cut wheat in July. In the right setting, these are killer to hunt over. I have one across the street in our "sanctuary" that I see deer feeding in all the time. If your lucky enough to have one on your property where all the other crops are down, I'd be all over it

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
No, not second crop, he just seems to wait to put them in for some reason. It's the only thing he ever plants. Never seen any wheat or corn there.

kawi.vn750

Thanks guys for all the info. Might have to try the corn stalking thing! I have 9 days off starting nov. 8th might have to try it! I'll try and put up a picture of the spot I have in the beans and also the one in the corn.

kawi.vn750

Can't get pics to load BUT, if you YouTube "Charlies deer cam" I have a video up from opening day that shows the area no deer in it but I did see nearly 20 deer from this spot opening weekend!

I know the old adage about deer leaving beans once they turn brown but I have seen multiple times, deer going past corn to eat standing beans in late season. Beans have more protein and carbs. Depends on what the bedding situation, hunting pressure and rut has done to your local deer herd. Id say the food source closest to the thickest cover and bedding, with southern slopes to warm deer up will be your best bet. A couple days worth of camera pics should give you your answer. Good luck!