Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First deer with Chronic Wasting Disease diagnosed in Ohio

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This is only the first steps. I have plenty more emails to the DOA and DOW to write. It's going to get hot.

I want to know what regulations are in place to prevent the import / sale / hunting / export of animal parts from these facilities.

What legal avenues will be pursued against them if the wild population around their facility contracts CWD.

What restitution to the citizens of this state will these business be required to make if CWD infects the wild population.

What is the state doing to ensure these facilities are tested regularly. That the enclosures are up to standard. How is the state enforcing this quarantine?

Who at what organization is ultimately responsible for these efforts.

What regulations are being put in place to prevent the purchase and import of deer from other states that have CWD.

Will these farms be required to pay a bond for containment or cleanup efforts in the event that CWD reaches the wild population.

Are these facilities required to carry insurance for such an event. Does their insurance cover such an event.

What steps are being taken to revoke their state permits to hold captive native species to the state of ohio.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great job Joe! Quarantine for 5 years! Are you Fuggin kidding me!!! An infected deer can get out in 5 days...WTF!!!!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
This was the list of farms I found awhile back. I'm not sure if there has been any new farms that was formed after this list was made or not.

http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com...41399331322254

I know of at least one farm that is in Morrow County on County Road 48 that is not listed. They have at least one huge buck I seen from the road back in the spring and several does but it's not listed on there. Pretty much a mud hole and POS holding pens. I'm sure there are others not listed.

Found it.

Edit. Joe.

Let's not associate businesses with this thread until we're sure they're impacted by the quarantine.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Why can't they just mandate that these animals be destroyed and put a ban on all out of state deer purchasing and transporting for a few years.
I bet the insurance companies are hoping for a pandemic!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Not sure if this will answer any of those questions Joe but I would still follow up because we all know how media works lmao.

http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.co...asting-disease-found-ohio-deer-farm/17786995/

The first case of chronic wasting disease in Ohio was confirmed Thursday from a single buck on a deer farm in Holmes County.

Erica Hawkins, spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Agriculture, said the deer was found at World Class Whitetails in Millersburg. The deer farm has been under quarantine since April 24 because it acquired deer from an operation in Pennsylvania that tested positive for the disease this year.

Previous report: Trophy deer industry means big bucks in Ohio

The farm was one of 43 captive-deer operations since April to be placed under quarantine for receiving about 125 deer from places in Pennsylvania that had the disease. More than 20 of the quarantines have since been lifted because the Ohio deer farm owners killed the deer in question and chronic wasting disease was not found. There is no way to test a live deer for the disease.

Farms under quarantine are not allowed to sell live animals or purchase any new ones — although deer can still breed, Hawkins said. The quarantine also does not prohibit the farms from allowing controlled hunts for the deer. All deer who die, whether from hunting or natural causes, are tested for the disease. Hawkins said since the quarantines have been in place, 770 deer have been tested from the captive operations and this case was the first one to test positive for the disease.

The state banned all deer imports from Pennsylvania, but that was largely lifted earlier this year. Now the state only bans importing deer from a five-county area in Pennsylvania where chronic wasting disease has been found.

Chronic wasting disease is among a family of diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, which includes mad cow disease. The diseases are caused by "misfolded" rogue proteins called prions. Prions cause normal protein molecules to mimic their twisted, misshapen form, creating spongelike holes in the brain, a process that can take years. The diseases are always fatal. The human strains of prion diseases cause severe dementia and brain deterioration ending in death. When deer develop symptoms from CWD, they become disoriented and emaciated, literally wasting away.

Scientists suspect the primary way the disease is spread is nose-to-nose contact. The prions, which can be passed on in bodily fluids, are so hardy that they also can bind to soil and remain infectious for years, researchers say. It's believed that deer can contract the disease by feeding in contaminated areas and possibly by inhaling prions in dust. No human has ever been known to have been infected by the disease.

The disease has now been found in deer farms in 14 states, according to the Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance. Critics of deer farms have said they are a perfect breeding ground for disease. Officials from the farm where the disease was found and the Whitetail Deer Farmers of Ohio could not be reached for comment Thursday afternoon.

It has also been found in wildlife in 18 states, according to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, but Hawkins said she is "absolutely" confident the state has contained the disease.

House Bill 389 in 2012 transferred much of the regulatory power over deer farms from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to the Department of Agriculture. Hawkins said the law's new licensing and record-keeping requirements allowed the state to contain a possible outbreak of the disease much quicker.

Scott Zody, chief of the state division of wildlife, said there is no reason to believe the disease has transferred to the state's wild deer population.

"With hunting season in progress, there are no CWD concerns that should prevent anyone from enjoying wild deer hunting in Ohio or from consuming meat from healthy animals," Zody said in a statement.

blanka@gannett.com

Twitter: @BenLanka

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414179759.501016.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I found this that talks in detail about CWD and the bullshit deer farmers and breeding places.

http://www.outdoornews.com/October-2014/Ohio-gets-first-positive-CWD-test/

For this statement.

""""
In response to this positive finding, the ODNR Division of Wildlife will increase sampling efforts in the wild deer population within six miles of the hunting preserve from which the CWD-positive deer came as well as near the other captive operations that are under quarantine. Those samples will include high-risk animals such as those killed on roads or exhibiting neurological symptoms as well as hunter-harvested deer in the area.
""""

Are the farms that refuse to dispatch the animals being charged the cost of this effort and testing. Hunters that largely fund the ODNR should not be footing the bill for this. Also. If CWD is found in the wild population around these farms. Will these farms be charged restitution for the animals they killed. The same as if you illegally killed a deer out of season or without a tag these people should be held responsible for every deer that dies due to their action. The wild deer of this state belong to the people of this state. If they impact that they should be made to pay for it.