Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Have question about ground blinds

Jason O

Its my first year hunting and i have a question about ground blinds. Rite now im using a ground blind to hunt from. From what i have read your suppose to set them up a week or so ahead of time so the deer get use to them. But if your hunting on public land and you do that most likely it wont be there when you get back. So has any one had success setting them up the day of the hunt.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The problem with hunting deer with ground blinds is they need to be brushed in fairly well so the deer don't see them. Most deer will pick up on a blind really quick if its not very concealed.

If I was hunting public and didn't have a way to be in a tree I would find a nice blow down of tree tops and try to utilize it as a natural ground blind. You know its been there a while and so the Dee are used to it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You're wasting your time hauling in a ground blind to hunt public ground IMO. Like Hoyt said, just find a blow down and get behind it. Deer will pick you off in a ground blind that was just set up. Think about it. If I went in to your bedroom, living room or kitchen and set up my Lazy-Boy, would you notice immediately? Same idea with ground blinds and deer.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You can semi make a ground blind as well using brush.... I like being above their trails on hillside and will actual carve a seat into the hillside to make it more comfortable and stand out a lot less.....

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I have a Primos folding chair that I can strap to my backpack. If I'm hunting on the ground for a day I just set it up behind a blowdown or between 2 trees and use the natural cover to conceal me. Now I did shoot a deer from a ground blind on public land the first year I hunted Ohio. I set it up the day before tucked up against some ledge with a tree in front of me. I hunted the afternoon, left it there that night and shot the deer the next morning around 9am. I can say though that deer was pretty nervous but it never did spook. Even though it worked for me once I prefer to just use my chair. It's much easier to carry in and it allows me to move quickly if needed.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The other thing you may want to check into is The Ghost Blind. I know outdoorsfellar on here uses one and likes it.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I'll vie another "blind is a waste of time". Conceal yourself in something natural like others have said. You'd be amazed how well it works. You set that blind up out there though and you're in for some whitetail symphonies. A blind needs brushed in, period, not just the day you're hunting. They still pick up on a giant pile of brush that wasn't there yesterday...

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I 2nd the ghost blind.. I have never used it personally but I have a good friend that uses it and he has had success. It would be helpful on public land. Lightweight and it conceals you pretty good if you place it with something to your back.

Jason O

Thats what i though i would hear. I have been out twice and haven't seen a deer. Which can be normal. But the last time i went i had a fox look rite at the blind and took off. I was trying to convince my self that he seen me move or something but i think it was the blind. I didn't do a very good job of trying to hide it.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just got home from camp today & am happy to see my name mentioned ...ha ha. On another note, I just came in from the woods using my Ghostblinds. Yes, two of 'em. That was a heavy load & not fun. I didn't see anything , but I just had to get out & experiment. The very first time using my Ghostblind a few years ago, I had a fox trot right past me. Whatever route you go, stay scent free. Don't worry too much about not seeing deer right now. In another week, things will certainly change.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I will echo the majority and say try to find some type of natural concealment. Sounds like the best way to go for your situation. Good luck out there!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I have shot 3 from a ground blind, 2 from the ground and 2 from a treestand. I have had deer walk within 10 feet of me sitting in a chair up against a tree several times. It works but you can't move when they are looking at you. I like the ground blind because I can move a little inside without worrying but I've had alot of deer stare at it or avoid it altogether or approach it with extreme caution. I set mine up weeks before I hunt in it. Some deer just seem to know not to go near it.

Back in the day when my dad and I used to hunt public land religiously we had folding stools that we would carry in and generally set up next to a deadfall or just a big clump of trees. I would never take a pop-up blind in simply because they stick out like a sore thumb to a deer that is already way on edge. Also keep in mind any 'improvements' you make to a deadfall will be found by other hunters when you are not there. So the more you add to help conceal others will see and they will use it, guaranteed. The best spots I have had were up against two close together trees where I would clean out a spot for me to sit. When you leave make sure you put the leaves back in or else someone will know you are hunting there. One other thing we would always do is if someone was walking through we would not do anything to let them know we are there and hopefully they walk by not knowing. Some may not agree with that but there were plenty of times I had acknowledged that I was there to a guy thinking he would leave and later in the year find him hunting the exact spot.

Treed

Stark County
I've got a Ghost Blind TOO. In situations like this, or in an area that has no good trees for climbin' they're hard to beat. I love mine. Other than that, I would be doing what most have suggested and find a dead fall or the like.
Right now, in the morning I like being set up by 6:30 at the latest and in the afternoon by about 3:30 or 4:00 but that's on my own property. I may adjust my morning start time a little bit for public land.....you're definitely going to want to be the first one in.
Good luck!