Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio whitetail youth hunt gun question

jacads

I purchased a youth hunt for my son who is 10 in Coshocton county this fall for the youth hunt. I did not know until I researched it that he cannot use a standard hunting rifle like we do here in certain parts of Michigan. He currently had a youth .410 and a 20 gauge (both single shots) that he can use to hunt deer here in Michigan in rifle less counties. I also have an 870 that I purchased a slug barrel for last year. I also see the regulations allow for a rifle such as .44 magnum to be utilized (I would need to purchase it). Can someone give me some guidance as to what they would use in this situation? Should I go ahead and make him use my 870? I also have a scope and scope mount for the 870. Is it legal to use a scope on a shotgun in this county?

Thanks for your feedback,

Jacads

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lots of kids hunt with .410s and 20 gauges in Ohio. He should use what he is comfortable with and shoots best. You have a few weeks to prepare, so you should shoot a bunch and let that tell you what to use.

And scopes are legal on all firearms in Ohio.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting...trapping-regulations/deer-hunting-regulations

Gun Season and Youth Gun Season
Shotgun: 10-gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition). Shotguns cannot be capable of holding more than three shells.
Muzzleloading Rifle: .38 caliber or larger
Muzzleloading Shotgun: 10-gauge or smaller using one ball per barrel
Handgun: with 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger.
Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Cassull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.
Shotguns and stright-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined. Legal Straight-Walled Cartridge Rifles for Ohio Deer Hunting
Longbow or Bow: minimum draw weight 40 lbs. This would include compound bows and recurve bows. The arrow tip shall have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed and minimim 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal. Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal.
Crossbow: draw weight not less than 75 lbs. The arrow tip shall have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed and minimim 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal. Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal.

He should be fine with the 20ga and many people use that here in Ohio. The new straight walled cartridges are listed as well but not something you need to go buy just so he can gun hunt here. Scopes can be used on weapon as long as it doesn't project any light onto the target.

If your son opts to use the .410, which is what I hunt Ohio whitetails with. I highly suggest using the Brenneke 1/4 oz 3" Silver Slugs. These are made of a harder alloy than .410 slugs made by other companies. They have much better penetration and hold together much better than other .410 slugs. I personally wouldn't use any other slug in my Rossi Youth model .410. Here is a nice doe I took with my .410 using Brenneke Silver Slugs.

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 115

jacads

I have looked everywhere including Cabelas and cannot find any 3" slugs. Can you tell me where to buy these at?

If your son opts to use the .410, which is what I hunt Ohio whitetails with. I highly suggest using the Brenneke 1/4 oz 3" Silver Slugs. These are made of a harder alloy than .410 slugs made by other companies. They have much better penetration and hold together much better than other .410 slugs. I personally wouldn't use any other slug in my Rossi Youth model .410. Here is a nice doe I took with my .410 using Brenneke Silver Slugs.

jacads

Can I take more than one shotgun up in the stand with us or can he only have one gun? I will not be having a license when we go. By the way we are hunting at ohiotrophyquestoutfitters.com have read a few things about them seems okay any one have anything to add about this outfit good or bad or places to eat around that area?

Thanks,

Jacads

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I would recommend trying a muzzleloader using just 50 grains of powder and limiting your shots to under 75 yards. I have done this with both my kids and it is very effective. Much less recoil than a 20 gauge slug gun, and plenty of knock down power with just 50 grains of powder. Try this, you will be surprised.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Lots of kids hunt with .410s and 20 gauges in Ohio. He should use what he is comfortable with and shoots best. You have a few weeks to prepare, so you should shoot a bunch and let that tell you what to use.

And scopes are legal on all firearms in Ohio.

x-2 my son has been using a 20ga. since age 8, like Jesse said I'd try both,

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I would recommend trying a muzzleloader using just 50 grains of powder and limiting your shots to under 75 yards. I have done this with both my kids and it is very effective. Much less recoil than a 20 gauge slug gun, and plenty of knock down power with just 50 grains of powder. Try this, you will be surprised.

x2

I started my son with a 20 gauge youth model. The thing drove tacks. He did not mind it at all. Worked well for him. Then last year we went early muzzleloader and he shot a doe with 50 grains of powder. He asked me why he hasn't been using that all along. He loved it.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

YES! This...

If you have a muzzy use it. If not, a 20 guage is fine. But Gern nailed it.

jacads

Thanks for all the help. I do have a .50cal Thompson Encore and might take that out to the range and get some time in with him. He really likes the youth .410 model I got him I wish it had more than just the beaded site but he was dead on at 30 yards (the blind we hunt from here make the shots are about 15-20 yards). going to see how he does at 50 and 75 yards. I am going to look for the 3" slugs this weekend. He would be just as happy with a buck as a doe so either way it is going to be fun. I am going to guess the weather isn't much warmer their in late November as it is here in Michigan?

Jacads

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Late November weather in Ohio should be similar to Michigan. It might be 25 degrees one day and 70 the next.

I would be leary about having a youth shoot 3" slugs, I would be afraid that they would have a tendency to flinch at the shot because a 3" slug kicks like a mule. Seriously give some thought to shooting a muzzleloader with 50g of powder. Kaiser is the one that told me about it and it is the best thing I could have done for my kids.