Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ravenna Arsenal

angelzd28

Welp just found out ill be doing a controlled hunt on the Ravenna Arsenal on saturday! Super excited to say the least. A guy I work with got drawn this summer but cant go, due to coaching reponsibilities. It is a partner hunt, with one male and one female, ill be taking my sister who called off work just to go. She is allowed to kill a buck or doe, but i am only allowed to kill a doe, which is alright by me. Also it is shotgun only, which should get the deer moving. Hoping to put some brown down on saturday. Only downside is I wont know which sector we get until we get there. Im familiar with the arsenal, having done some training there, but have never hunted it, so we'll see. :pickle:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Make damn sure you are permitted to take his place. Haven't hunted there in 25 yrs. but I seen guys turned away because the name on the permit was different than the guy hunting.
I'd check but things may have changed.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
EHD took its toll on the deer heard the last year or so... Still have deer but numbers are way down from what my source tells me... Good luck too you and your sister.... Typically on the female hunts they draw the antler tag, is hat still correct?

angelzd28

Yes that is correct, the regs say you can take up to 2 deer per hunter. She can take a buck and doe, while I would be able to take 2 does, that is as long as you have enough permits.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Already checked into that, as I was not sure myself, but its legit. You just cant hunt there more than once a year.

Good job on checking and good luck. I took a very nice buck there in 1977. The last time I hunted there was about 1987 I had a doe only tag and all I seen was bucks. Go figure.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've hunted there about a dozen times over the years.... Saw the biggest bucks on hoof in place but always had either a doe only hunt or no buck tag left..... Some real bruisers in there that's for sure.... 25 square miles of land and majority of it hunt-able....

angelzd28

Well my sister and I hunted on saturday and came away with zilch. Although unsuccessful we still had fun and it was something different. We got sector 20B which was butted up against the northern fence and a large creek was the southern boundary. She didnt see anything, but I did kick up a pretty decent size buck pushing the creek bed towards her. It didnt cooperate though and she never saw him. There were about 6 or 7 shots to the south of us, but all and all it seemed like not a lot of ppl were seeing much. Seems to me the numbers are down there overall. Overall still had fun and would do it again.