Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Buffet

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
So this summer I posted some pics of my property where I had taken a 5 acre over grown field and turned it into a food plot. I surrounded 4 acres of beans, 1/2 acre of clover, and a 1/2 acre of turnips with plot screen. Most guys were curious about the plot screen so here's my basic review. I've had more deer in my yard during daylight than last year combined. I drive my truck in to check cams and dump corn and usually don't see any deer. I did leave 1/2 acre of CRP along the creek and I had a tile break in my field that has some cover around it (maybe the size of a pickup truck). So today I drove back in to fix my cell phone camera, and pull another card that had been out for 2-3 weeks. I realized I forgot to dump my corn when I drove back to the house (100 yards away). So I walked the corn out and as soon as I got past the first section of plot screen and into the bean field I jumped 4 does off the tile break brush (shit!), walked to the clover plot and jumped 3 more in the crp next to the clover (shit!), then after I dump the corn and walk the rest of the square out since I've blown 7 deer off 5 acres I jump two big old roosters pheasants in the plot screen (Shit!). Guess I'll be driving the truck every time regardless of what I'm doing. Either way this plot screen is some pretty amazing stuff. I even had to replant 2/3 of it bc the farmer planted beans with it when I first seeded it and it competed too much so some if it shorter. The stuff I replanted still grew 9-10' tall even being a month later than the suggested plant date. I plan on using this stuff a lot more now. The main thing is to make the screens at least 15' wide, sounds crazy but it grows better and withstands the wind A LOT better! Here's a few pics from today while I was out there.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
wow buddy that is awesome! Standing beans and turnips! You should be praying for snow!! hahaha

Thanks for sharing!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
That looks great!!! Been a coons age since i have kicked up a rooster around these parts.

I see them daily in the summer, occasionally during the late fall/winter. We have a lot of wild birds around here. Nothing better than sitting on the porch drink a cold beer in the summer listening to the roosters cackle all around.

JPN

coshocton
That looks great! Ive got a 5 acre field that I would love to do something like that. Right now a farmer leases it from me to make hay.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Its amazing what 5 acres in the right spot can do.... I cant wait til winter when the crops are off and I have several different bucks to chase like last year. Especially now that I have access to their bedroom!!!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looks great. The 3 ac. food plot I put in 2013 drawed in a few deer but was eat up in no time. In 2014 I have 1.0 ac. of established clover and 1.5 ac. of forage oats. I seen 11 deer in 3 hrs. when I hunted early ML season. It just seems a good food plot is candy to the deer.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I think you will find at the end of the season that you will have too much food and not enough bedding. I would focus on more Crp and a little less food. I'm digging the plot screen.. What did you use again?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I think you will find at the end of the season that you will have too much food and not enough bedding. I would focus on more Crp and a little less food. I'm digging the plot screen.. What did you use again?

I would agree but this plot is surrounded by 100 acres of CRP and creek bottom. I used frigid forage plot screen. Its Egyptian wheat and several versions of sorghum.