Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thought I'd throw this out there and see what I get.

BigRed11

Hey guys,

So as some of you know I am new to the forum and also new to Northeast ohio. Born and raised in NW Ohio but my job has recently relocated me out this way. Over the past couple years throughout moving I have had a hard time trying to meet up with anyone who had private land I could hunt. Anytime I start to make a friend my company shifts me to another location. As I am planning on being in this area awhile I am looking for someone that may be willing or knows someone willing to let me hunt on their private land. Even if this is just helping thinning out a doe herd. I have had no luck with public land recently and it is really starting to get frustrating. Thought I had a good spot this weekend and right as the sun came up the squirrle hunters did too. Nothing I or they can do about that though, its PUBLIC land. I know I am going out on a limb here but if any of you guys out there have any resources it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks guys!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good luck. I lived in Kent for 10 months and it was a miserable experience in regards to getting permission on private land. Only advice I have is do your research via aerials and county auditor pages, then knock on as many doors as you can.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Like Jesse said, your best bet is to get a list of properties that look good and start knocking on doors. You may get 20 no answers before you get a yes, but sounds like that would be better than the public land you are hunting.

teej89

NE PA
My dad and I started hunting Ohio from PA 7 years ago, and for the first 5 we hunted public, then I moved here and go access to private for the last two years. I never had any issues hunting public land, we'd see some big bucks and not a heck of a lot of people. It's definitely doable on public land. However we did try and hunt Shenango(spelling?) and that place was PACKED but we still saw deer just no shoot bucks.

I'll remember our first hunt on one piece of public, we never even stepped foot on the land till the day before. Just spent a while looking at topos and aerial maps and picked a choke point. That year I missed what would have been my biggest buck to date in that choke point that we found on the map. Even this year I took a buddy to public to kill his first muzzleloader deer and we got it done the first morning. If you have any questions just shoot me a PM.

-T.J.

reo

N.E. Ohio
Public is an added challenge for sure. One thing you may find is that people will hunt the same areas through the years. the spots that look good from the road. Pay attention to where these areas are and hunt where they ain't. It can take a few years to get the people patterns down but once you do it can be used as an advantage and you will find some great areas that are "hidden" from the general hunting population.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Just outside Solon is a place called auburn marsh. It's archery only so I doubt it gets a heck of a lot of pressure. Might be worth a look.