Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another IKS thread?!?! Yep

jeremy44230

Medina County
Here's the tale:

I had planned to hunt my local place, but at the last minute I changed my mind. Took my father in law down to coshocton hoping to get him his first x-bow kill. I took my climber and changed my mind as to where to sit several times. I ended up setting it on the ground next to a tree I got a hang on set up. It was way too loud walking through the woods....

Got settled in at 4:30. About 5:15 I thought I heard something making a racket down the hill in some thick stuff. Got ready and waited.... Nothing came out. At about 5:20 I heard it again and again got ready. This buck came up out of the thicket around 5:22. He walked towards me. I got the camera rolling and stayed perfectly still as I feared he could easily see me. HE DID! We had a stare off for a while. He then put his head down and milled about. Luckily he made a right turn and I knew I would get my shot. He came out around 22 yards, I tried to stop him but he didn't where I wanted him too. Still at full draw he took a couple more steps and I stopped him again.

I touched off the release and smack! Knew I hit him with a lethal shot but no pass through. I saw him bust through the woods. Heard him crashing and hoping that was it....

About 15-20 minutes later I got down to check on the blood. I quickly picked up a decent blood trail. He made it about 60-70 yards before expiring.

He busted his right brow tine during the death run... I'll get it fixed as I know he had it before the shot.

Recovery was quick and painless, thank God! He was very heavy and the short drag up the hill to my cart seemed to take forever....

Got home and thought I would check for the rest of my arrow and sure enough it was in there and through his heart.

The funniest part of this was I was talking to a guy that morning that has taken some clean 8 pointers and I said "I'd like a clean 8". This is what I lucked into!!

I'm very happy with this deer as he was a mature buck. Based on the dresses weight, is say he was 260-270 on the hoof.

Thanks all for your kind words and good luck to the rest of the TOOzers!!!!

I think I'm going to Indiana in a few weeks on a DIY public land rut hunt. Any advice or tips are gladly welcomed!

This buck was very musky, so get your gear ready and get in some trees everyone!!!

I also have decided to take some nice pics with this buck. Something I have never done and actually regretted.... I'll post them later.