Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Quail

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Happy to report there was a covey of about 12 quail beside my son's barn this afternoon. Probably feeding on the weed seeds in the cattle paddock. They flushed and scared my son and couple landed in a tree near by. I even seen them hiding in the tree leaves.
That's the 1st quail we've seen on the farm in over 20 yrs. When I bought the farm in 1991 there was 2 coveys in different pastures. Then couple hard winter and didn't see or hear any for 20 yrs. My son did hear some in the spring.
Even though my farm is a register quail hunting farm with the State I won't permit anyone to hunt them.
Glad their making a comeback.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I don't think they will ever make it without a robust Crp program. I used to raise and release them to try to get them to come back but between the cats, Hawks and lack of good cover, they got wiped my out . They are very eAsy to raise and prolific breeders/egg layers. 6 pair got me 80+ birds to release from hatching eggs.

Bigcountry40

You got to have cover for pheasants and quail to survive, farmers in the NW will spend 40k burning/cutting brush for 2 extra rows of corn.... Best place for bird growth I think would be eastern Ohio where its hilly and harder to cut all the brush cover down.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No tax break. When I bought the farm in 1991 Butler Country and surrounding Counties in order to hunt quail the farm location at to be registered with Ohio DOW. Don't know if that's necessary now. But after registering we never hunted them then in couple years there wasn't any to be seen or heard until this year.

What does registering your farm for quail hunting do? Tax break?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had a couple of coveys here until last year. A new farmer leased the farm across the road, tore out all the fence rows, cleared brush ... quail gone. My kids used to spend summer evenings whistling with them. Miss that. Enjoy them Frank!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Its always cool to see something make a come-back on land you know.
I think its been over 10 years since I saw a covey around here. Pheasant, I'll cut a track about every other year.