Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Morning or Afternoon Hunt Tomorrow?

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Seeing as there is going to be an 18 degree temp drop I definitely want to get out tomorrow, I just can't decide on a morning or afternoon hunt. I found a spot last Sunday on a quick scouting mission. It is a rub line that comes along a somewhat steep oak ridge with a 100+ acre crp field to the west that is always full of deer (it drops off to the crp) and at the top it is flat and there is a pretty good sized amount of woods before a small harvested beanfield to the south with standing corn on the other side. The deer do cross the beans. The ridge runs north to south and I followed the rub line to the north for a half mile but felt as if I went too far I would mess it up. There is a patch of thick nasty stuff at the top of the ridge that I wouldn't doubt is bedding. The rub line goes along the edge of the thick stuff at the top of the ridge and doglegs to the east where the thick stuff ends. I put 50# of corn there with a cam on Sunday where it doglegs but haven't checked it. The NW wind should be great as it will take my scent into a huge steep ditch that deer don't use.
Here is the moon data on Saturday and I was wondering if this should influence my decision as to when to hunt?
Moonrise 2:44 a.m.
Moon transit 9:29 a.m.
Moonset 4:07 p.m.

This pic is directly oriented north to south. On left is crp, right and down are cut beans, and just below the beans is standing corn. Where I am planning to hunt is just north of the dark ravine in the bottom half of the pic right along the ridge. Sorry for the long post just wandering what your thoughts would be.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Haha your probably right, I think I might just try a morning hunt and check the cam. If anything good is on it then I'll try an afternoon hunt. As far as the moon goes do u think that does impact deer activity very much even when it isn't full?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Haha your probably right, I think I might just try a morning hunt and check the cam. If anything good is on it then I'll try an afternoon hunt. As far as the moon goes do u think that does impact deer activity very much even when it isn't full?

You got somewhere else too hunt in the afternoon if nothing is on camera?

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Ya I have a narrow funnel on the south side of the crp between two huge blocks of woods where I have a cam. I scattered some corn there last Sunday but I won't hunt it unless there is a lot on the cam because it should be good during the rut as there is also a natural spring coming off the ridge. I also have a small brassica plot where I got the set of pics of that nice ten. It is between very thick bedding, oaks, and the corn field I just am gonna try to stay out of it until the corn is harvested and the plot grows a little more. The wind should be good for both those spots if they have anything good on the camera.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That 10 came out during daylight, and I'd be willing too bet its because the corn is still up and he feels safer with that as cover. I'd be hunting there in the afternoon.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Ya I'll have to see whats on the cams. Its possible he could have showed up on one of the other ones TOO because he only showed up on that one once (October 1st) over the 40 days my cam was there from Sept 2nd until Oct 12th. I only planted the plot on Sept 20th though so if it has grown enough to be a food source then he may have showed back up. It is actually fairly thick cover all the way to the edge of the corn field so they should feel fairly safe in the plot as long as I don't mess with it TOO much

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Just called the LO to make sure it was alright if I hunted in that spot tomorrow because he has a lot of other people who hunt on his land. He said nobody should be anywhere near me and he saw a really big buck over there earlier this week! :pickle:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Just called the LO to make sure it was alright if I hunted in that spot tomorrow because he has a lot of other people who hunt on his land. He said nobody should be anywhere near me and he saw a really big buck over there earlier this week! :pickle:

Bucks like to travel the edges between standing corn and timber. Sounds like you'll be good as long as the wind is.

rsmith

After reading all this I would for sure be out tomorrow morning and evening! Don't miss it! Best of luck to you and when you slay that big 10 make sure you post up a good thread on it! Best of luck to you!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
No I don't really know any of them. So far one guy I talked to was nice, and four others were assholes

That's not good. I have couple spots that are hunted by another person. We try to stay in touch with each other about where we'll be hunting and when. One of my spots I share my trail cam photos with the guy because he helped get me in. Hopefully those 4 guys lighten up a bit.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
That's a good deal, those guys actually got kicked off this year along with another group of five or six guys who hunted mostly during gun season. The LO actually tries to keep track of where everybody is but he is losing some of his cognitive ability with age so it gets a little confusing sometimes.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That's good that those guys got booted. I'd get the nice guys number so you guys can work together. I've found that doing that actually helps out a lot more than one would think.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Ya that guy only hunts the small property but I will if I ever see him again. I got pics of a really big ten at the run line spot from 6 to 630 this am and at 7 am yesterday. Also pics of a smaller 9 at 4 am yesterday. The ten looks like he might be 4.5 but since he was only there in am I doubt he'll show up in pm?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Ya that guy only hunts the small property but I will if I ever see him again. I got pics of a really big ten at the run line spot from 6 to 630 this am and at 7 am yesterday. Also pics of a smaller 9 at 4 am yesterday. The ten looks like he might be 4.5 but since he was only there in am I doubt he'll show up in pm?

You never know if he'll show up in the evening. But if he's coming in at those times in the morning I'd try to get on him tomorrow morning, maybe get in there around 5-5:15 and just wait. The colder temps should help out. Let's see the pics of those bucks!