Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shooting coyotes during deer season?

Okay. I'm kind in a pickle. I usually hunt yotes after deer season is done but this year, we have a new pack living on the farm. It seems like they're messing with the deer travel patterns and movement pretty bad. Trapping really isn't an option right now because there are other animals I don't want to catch and I just don't have the time to check a trap line. Not to mention it's pretty close to a bedding area so I definitely don't want to mess with that. How much of an issue do you think a day or night or two of yote hunting is right now. We usually keep our farm bow only and we'd be using a .300WSM and .308. You think the shooting will mess with them bad? I just don't know. I'd like to get it done before Halloween time so these yotes stop messing with our hunting. Let me know what ya gents think.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'd do it now, at night. Then give it til the end of the month for deer hunting. Maybe someone will chime in who has experienced this, but that's what I'd do if it was that big of an issue.

2AM , I can't get to sleep
So I have time to post my ideas

I have shot several out of treestands while deer hunting
The other night I had a coyote come into the woods
There were 3 deer feeding in the area
They seemed to fear the coyotes , but not enough to run
But at least 1 of the 3 deer were watching the coyote a fair amount of the time

A couple years back I shot a big male coyote a little before sunset and the next morning I hunted the same stand
I got to watch 4 does sniff the coyote blood
None of them seemed to care , I shot #3 as she passed through a shooting lane a few min later

The 2 spots I see coyotes the most , both work well also for shooting both them and deer
Most of the coyotes I see this time of the year are hunting small game
So I "call" the coyotes in if I see it far enough out to set up
I lower my pack into the leaves under the treestand with the pull up rope
I then crunch some leaves with the pack

1 or 2 crunched leaves and the coyotes must think it is a easy meal and come in looking for dinner
A pretty easy shot
But......don't wait till the coyote is real close

As the darn things are smart enough to know that the pack is used by a human
They also then look at the rope and follow it right up to you .....busted ......it is gone and knows where that stand is and will avoid it

John

jlane

dunn nc
i say kill them when the opertunity arises, don;t wait if i;m n my stand and one comes thru i will let an arrow fly.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Kill them now. Think about it like this, 1) If you don't they are messing with the deer 2) if you do it messes with the deer. The sooner you get them on the run the sooner your deer will go back to a more normal travel route.

Kill them like the others have said. What would hurt things worse, shooting a few at night or any time you are in stand to relieve pressure on them or let them go and they continue to chase and feed on the deer which in the end ruins your hunting more?!