Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Helped find one tonight

I hunted a woods just down the road from me
No pic's of a big buck , but some 6"+ dia trees are being used as rubs

I only saw 1 doe and a yearling

But when I got back to my truck the land owners son was there waiting for me
He also had been bow hunting and had shot a "Big" doe ( his words )

He had waited , to not bump and deer away from me
So I told him I would help him find his deer

Well......... he did shoot a deer
He made a easy 10 yard shot on a yearling , that only ran 30 yards

I helped hold the flash light while he gutted it
On a farm scale , gutted it weighted about 50 lb

And the owners Son ....about 30 was thrilled
So I didn't tell him I was hoping for a buck in the 150 - 200 lb range
But he has his deer and I will out again when I can

John

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What's wrong with that boy?

Everyone has a different idea of what a trophy is, if he gets a high on a yearling so be it.... Soon he'll be looking for bigger ones.... Or he's a meat hunter and is just happy putting deer in the freezer.....

I remember starting out and not seeing deer everyday and when you saw a button buck my knees were shaking too the point of falling out of the stand lmao.....

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That was real good of you to help him John. Sometimes when a deer comes in alone, it's hard to tell just how big it is. And if your in kill mode....they look bigger than they are. Still good karma coming for you John.

That was real good of you to help him John. Sometimes when a deer comes in alone, it's hard to tell just how big it is. And if your in kill mode....they look bigger than they are. Still good karma coming for you John.

Yes it is hard sometimes
I am not sure if he has ever had a deer just calmly walk into his shooting lane before ......he had only talked about gun hunting

I feel great that he got his deer
But part of me hopes he is done bow hunting for the year
As I could hear him in his treestand 300 yards from me last nigh

I am willing to bet one of the reasons I am not seeing the larger/older deer I know are in the woods and along the creek line
Is his lack of noise controll

And I am willing to bet if he is done and I wait a few days for the deer to calm down
I just might get a shot at a decent buck

John

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Everyone has a different idea of what a trophy is, if he gets a high on a yearling so be it.... Soon he'll be looking for bigger ones.... Or he's a meat hunter and is just happy putting deer in the freezer.....

I remember starting out and not seeing deer everyday and when you saw a button buck my knees were shaking too the point of falling out of the stand lmao.....

Understandable. I guess I was under the impression that he's killed deer before. Can't say I've never shot a little one, they do eat good!

LOL I've made the mistake of thinking a deer was much bigger than it ended up being LOL! Sometimes it's easy to do if it's a lone deer and when you are early in your hunting career. Maybe this will help you nail the big-unn if he takes a little break from the property.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I've been guilty of this at least 4 times that I can remember. All BB's that came in alone. Every time I could have sworn they were big enough to be a 1 1/2 year old doe. Maybe it was just an itchy trigger finger that made me do it but they did taste good.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I also enjoy tracking deer. It was fun showing the grandsons how to track their deer.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I make it a point to try to kill a 6-month old deer each year in addition to another full size doe and/or buck. Those little ones are too fuggin tasty to let walk IMO. Plus they're so easy to skin out and butcher... why not shoot one?!?! Lol

Congrats to that guy for getting a deer and kudos to you John for lending a hand. Funny he thought it was a "big doe" though. lmao

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Nice of you to help him John! Maybe he will stop by with a fresh backstrap for you to throw on the grill. Man! A fresh young backstrap sure sounds good!!