Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Full Moon, Rut, First week of Nov?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I would love to see the same study done now at Auburn University and see the difference they find. That would be very interesting.

I still say I have seen the best rutting activity in SE Ohio during the 2.5 to 3 week of Nov. Right before Thanksgiving. I also have had good rutting the 2nd week of Dec all the up to having that bonus shotgun season they used to have.

teej89

NE PA
IMO isn't the peak rut hunting prior to their mean conception date? So early november? By the time they're knocking boots the chasing period has ended and the bucks are hanging around tending the doe and not leaving her sight. Yeah they breed multiple does but I feel the conception period is the "lull" of the rut. Then after the conception period is when it kicks back up again a little when the big boys are looking for does coming in heat late.

Good article tho! I wonder what ole Charlie Alsheimer would have to say about this article.

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Over the years I've had luck experiencing rut activity around Halloween, the first week of November, the second week of November, and close to gun season. I don't think there is a magical "switch" that is set off and does start going into heat. I think it all depends on your area. Some of your does may come in early, some may come in later. The best advice I've ever heard regarding this is to hunt as much as you can from Halloween until gun season, as well as if you can wait to schedule your vacation closer to the weeks you are debating, when the weather is a little more solidified, then take off the colder of those few weeks. Just my opinion.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
see I have never had GREAT experiance the first week of NOV. The second week I have had great experience.

Also lets assume peak mating time is the 20th
How long does it take for a buck to chase that doe before they screw?
Its not like he is chasing her for 2.5 weeks, took her on a few dates, then moved in and got laid. I would assume it is a few days before that is all.

I agree I think anytime from Oct 31-Dec is a damn good time to be in a tree. I just in my experience and a lot of reading cant wrap my head around the first week of Nov. I really wish gun season was the 2nd week of Dec. I think we would see even better action right after Thanksgiving.

Hope you all enjoyed this article.

Albert

JPN

coshocton
see I have never had GREAT experiance the first week of NOV. The second week I have had great experience.

Also lets assume peak mating time is the 20th
How long does it take for a buck to chase that doe before they screw?
Its not like he is chasing her for 2.5 weeks, took her on a few dates, then moved in and got laid. I would assume it is a few days before that is all.

I agree I think anytime from Oct 31-Dec is a damn good time to be in a tree. I just in my experience and a lot of reading cant wrap my head around the first week of Nov. I really wish gun season was the 2nd week of Dec. I think we would see even better action right after Thanksgiving.

Hope you all enjoyed this article.

Albert

I don't usually have much luck the first week in Nov either. It seems like my farm is always a week behind my buddies who hunt within a few miles of me. Ive shot 2 nice bucks on Nov 19, both of them I rattled in. I must say that I called in one of the biggest deer Ive seen in person on Halloween a few years ago, but for the most part the second week has been much better for me

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I don't usually have much luck the first week in Nov either. It seems like my farm is always a week behind my buddies who hunt within a few miles of me. Ive shot 2 nice bucks on Nov 19, both of them I rattled in. I must say that I called in one of the biggest deer Ive seen in person on Halloween a few years ago, but for the most part the second week has been much better for me

That one you rattled in wasn't a Booner was he? Even I hurt over that one....

Kaiser878

ohio
Ive killed bucks on Oct30,31 x3, Nov1,2,4,6,7,18

I think I know when Ill be in the woods the most... Remember, the peak of the rut is the worst time to be in the woods..... You want to be in the woods every minute you can for 2 weeks prior to that... the 3 week of november is when the majority of the biggest bucks get killed.....but its sporatic IMO

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hell guys just hunt when u can.I will be loff Oct 29 till Nov 17 and Nov 20-23rd and Nov 27-30th.Should have a few good days there.
I have killed bucks every week of November just seems it can be a little different each year. Have seen some of the biggest bucks week of Thanksgiving.. just not a lot of activity but the big boys are sure searching.