Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Hunting NE Ohio

BigRed11

Hey Guys,

I'm new here to the forum and new to NE Ohio. Wanted to reach out to some of you guys for some help. I have been bow hunting for a couple years. My problem is my company likes to move me all over the place so I never have time to set my stakes and buy some land or makes some friends with land. So I have always had to hunt public land and have always come a short of getting a deer. This year I did some scouting at Westbranch, my oh my is this place over hunted. I feel like there are more people there than deer!!! What I am looking for is some information on some good places to hunt in NE Ohio. I am really itching to take a deer this year with my compound. If any of you guys have some useful information it would be greatly appreciated. I plan on being at this company location for a couple years so maybe eventually I will be able to get my own land, but until then, any help that you could lend me would be appreciated.

Thanks guys and I look foward to any help that i can get. Take care and good luck hunting this season.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm not saying its impossible, but you are looking at an uphill battle. NE ohio is heavily populated and has minimal public hunting. You may want to explore urban hunting as an option.

Buckmaster

Portage
Try that Akron owned property on SR82 between Hiram and Mantua along the river (just below Dirthick's hill).
Take the mile long walk to the back of the property to where it meets private land; setup there.
I've killed quite a few bucks and turkey back in there when I hunted it.
You'll need to arrive way early....I'm talking like 5am so your first in the lot....and you can secure your spot early, setup, and take a nap all before daylight.
You'll need a cart to remove your catch.
Best of luck.

BigRed11

Thanks Buckmaster. Could you help me out just a little bit more. I have found Hiram and Manuta on the Map. I also see SR 82 and the River, but the map isnt showing me any public hunting lands. Could you point out a intersecting road to get me close. I am not sure what Dirthicks hill is and cant find that on the map either. Sorry if I am being difficult.

Schu72

Streetsboro

Buckmaster

Portage
I marked it for you in yellow highlight. Just make sure you hunt on the public side. I think there's an old barbed wire fence marking the line.

Save me a backstrap.

Attachments

• Ladue Hunt Here.jpg
    Ladue Hunt Here.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 293

BigRed11

I marked it for you in yellow highlight. Just make sure you hunt on the public side. I think there's an old barbed wire fence marking the line.

Save me a backstrap.

Thank you so much. And I will for sure hit you up for a backstrap if I get one. I will be out there Frday, Saturday, and Sunday this weekend. Hopefully I at least see something. Is there any direction I shoudl expect them to come in from. I dont see a ton of fields. Wasnt sure if there was good acorn plots in the area or not. Just didnt wanna push them out as I was moving in.

Buckmaster

Portage
When I was in there last it was thick and nasty with oaks. I hunted the private side of the fenceline with permission of course. There was a corn field nearby on the private side about 250 yards West of my treestand.

I was last there 10 years ago. If you can find the huge virgin tree on the public side, oak I think, (about the size of your truck hood) you're near my old spot. That's a good turkey area too.

I setup in a transition area in between the thick stuff and open woods. It seemed the deer funneled parallel to the thick stuff. I've taken 3 bucks and a couple doe out of that spot.

I live about 10 minutes from that area.

Last edited:

Treed

Stark County
Berlin Lake has some decent hunting right outside of Alliance. If you take German Church Road off of 225 there's a big parking lot about a half mile down on the left with a trail that leads to a couple huge bean fields, some CRP fields and a bunch of woods. You can take 225 up to Fewtown Road and get in there too. There's also an outdoor public archery range at Fewtown. Check it out on Google Earth. Just west of Dale Walborn Reservoir, between Marlboro Ave and Osborn Ave there is an Archery only public area that's usually got beans on it. There is parking at the intersection of Osbourne ave and Allen Dr. You can find that on Google Earth too.
There's also an app you can get for smart phones called Onx Maps Hunt that will tell you who owns every piece of property in the state and also show you all the public hunting areas. It comes with a free one week trial. It may be helpful.
Good luck.

Buckmaster

Portage
Ive also put a map on where i think I am supposed to go. You can let me know if this is close or not. View attachment 24761

Pretty darn close. Go up to the private fence line and hunt about 25 yards south of the fence line to enable a little buffer. If you find the huge oak tree in that woods that's turkey haven. I've taken some turkey off that big tree. My treestand was setup on the private land about 75 yards on the North side of the fence. The farms on Allyn Rd used to have corn. I'm not sure what they offer lately. Good luck and have fun.

Attachments

• SR82 Ladue.jpg
    SR82 Ladue.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 191

BigRed11

Thank you so much for all the help guys. I will let you know and post pics if I bag something this weekend.

angelzd28

Hows the hunting at Berlin Lake? I live about 12-15 minutes from there. I usually have to drive 45-50 minutes to hunt all my spots in Tusc county and was looking for somewhere closer. Id rather not hunt public land but during the week it would be easier to get to and from my house. Thanks for any info!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hows the hunting at Berlin Lake? I live about 12-15 minutes from there. I usually have to drive 45-50 minutes to hunt all my spots in Tusc county and was looking for somewhere closer. Id rather not hunt public land but during the week it would be easier to get to and from my house. Thanks for any info!

Look at leffingwell rd area between the lake and rte 534..... Two areas too hunt there...