Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Where did the Bucks Go???

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Fantastic book. I recommend the DVD series as well.

I second that Mike. Great books and DVD series they put out. They probably make far less money than the guys on TV, but they are hardcore in their pursuits. You can tell they do it for the love of the hunt, rather than the idea of getting rich.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Not much happening now ....but coming off this full moon and with the temp forecasted to be cool next week there will be a couple day period next week where a few big deer hit the ground .

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I believe standing corn is where a lot of deer are staying at this time of year. They venture out at night to hit the oaks and go back to the corn for bedding. Once the corn is down sightings will increase quickly IMO.

I got to witness a doe and her 2 fawns come out of the tall corn last night. Mom came out first and made sure the coast was clear then they all headed straight for the oaks using a hill for cover and disappeared.

Waiting for that stuff to get cut around here to hopefully push them all into the woods. Won't be happening this week with all this rain though.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I believe standing corn is where a lot of deer are staying at this time of year. They venture out at night to hit the oaks and go back to the corn for bedding. Once the corn is down sightings will increase quickly IMO.

X2. Standing corn always holds a lot of deer.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County

I agree with this. I haven't been out much at all yet, but road scouting in the early mornings and late in the evenings I have seen a lot of deer entering and exiting the standing corn. Some corn starting to come down already up this way, so should make for some great rut hunting.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have about 15 ac. of corn next to my hunting woods. That's the 1st time for corn in at least 5 yrs. Be glad when it's cut.

redeye33

Welcome! Where ya from?

Portage county, got some really big bucks right where I hunt. My only buck is an 8 point I arrowed but I missed on some trophies.
1) Sitting 20 yards inside woods surrounding standing corn field on an outside corner. Heard 2 hitting horns but not tearing it up and moving closer. 2 giant bucks walked 15 yds in front of my stand, a10 and an 8,m both huge! I waited till i had a shot ont the 10 and just as I raised my bow i heard a slight "click" the deer turned and stared right at me. I put shot anyway (my bad) and it jumped the string. Never saw them again. These 2 were trophies.
2) I had been seeing bucks chase does around a pond every evening where I hunt so i set up in the tall grass where I had a shot only I forgot to put out my scent rag until it was getting late so I just threw it 3 feet in front of me. Afdter a while i heard what I thought was a doe walking behind me then stopping and pawing/thumping the ground. Trying to get me to move I assumed. Well this deer got right next to me, I mean5 feet when I could finally see it . I turned and looked and it was a huge 12 poiter!! We almost shit ourselves at thew same time! That buck jumped back and stared at me and slowly walked away stiff legged with head held way high and staring at me! I was stunned, by the time I got my bow up he was too far away!! That is NO BS story! I actually feel very blessed and fortunate to have experienced something like that!