Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

soybeans just cut!!

NEOhunter

I just got a text that the soybeans got cut yesterday at my mother-in-laws where I hunt. Should this cause deer activity to pick-up? I'm thinking I better try to get out there tonight.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I've been waiting for the corn to get cut where I have my blind. There is probably 100 acres of 6 foot+ corn and I think a lot of my deer are holding up in there and traveling through there. Not a lot of woods in the immediate area so I think my sightings will go up once this is cut.

Not sure about the beans but it couldn't hurt to go see!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The beans getting cut shouldn't have an impact on the deer movement. Deer will migrate to other food sources once the beans turn yellow and brown, so that has probably already happened a couple weeks ago.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Beans surrounding the woods I hunt were cut this weekend TOO! thought about putting the ground blind up outside of the woodlot...facing in toward the wood lot....there is a strip of thick brush with a couple of trees in it that would be perfect for this...I always thought if the beans were dry enough to cut the deer would be back to eating them, since they eat them if they are still standing in november/december...prbly matters not anyway, that field will prbly be planted in winter wheat soon if not already.

For what I've experienced once beans are cut the field edges are pretty much worthless to hunt. An occasional deer will be out feeding on any spilled beans but I think once there is a flat open field they tend to shy away from them. That's coming from hunting bean fields up here in Mich and there in Ohio. Corn fields, now that's another story.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If it helps it would only be if while cutting the beans it pushed the deer towards you. If they travel the beans because it provided some cover from roadside viewing, they could alter course. I agree, it probably won't change their feeding pattern movement.

NEOhunter

The beans covered about a 4 acre field that is right behind my MIL's house. There is about a 10 acre rectangular shaped lot of state land right behind this field. When that field ends there is a big field of corn, private owned, then the state land connects to another piece of state land that has over 100 acres.
I've found some good sign and video/picts of bucks working a scrape and licking branch just inside the woods from the corn. And acorns are plentiful all through the woods. But I have been out 3 times, 2 mornings, 1 evening and haven't seen anything yet. Was hoping the beans being cut would help but it sounds like it might cause them to stay out of the open field. I'll have to rethink some strategy now.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Does the state land allow public hunting? If so, I'd set up around those oaks close to the corn. Deer feel very safe traveling the edges of standing corn fields and it won't be standing much longer. And when it comes down, they'll feed in the cut corn field all winter. Might not be a bad idea to ask if you can hunt that farm with the corn. I'd also shy away from morning hunts until the end of this month.

NEOhunter

Yeah the state land allows public hunting. That's where I got by deer last year he was traveling a trail that sits about 10 yards into the woods.
I would like to scout/ get deeper into the state land but I'm afraid I'll be counter-productive this time of year?

NEOhunter

I don't think it gets alot during bow season, there are a few spots for people to park on the way to my MIL's but I have only seen 1 car there before in a year and a half. During gun season I think it gets more.