Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Jockey Hollow

whack

Working out of state in Washington PA and did some looking for public Ohio ground came across Egypt Valley & Jockey Hollow. Hunted Egypt Valley for 2 weeks but it's a tough place to hunt in the limited time I have to get in and get set up in the mornings (work Midnights so I can't get out there till about 6:45am). Went and looked at Jockey Hollow today. Looked much better as far as terrain goes and being able to access huntable areas. I will be going back in tomorrow with the climber and trying to find a spot to set up. Anyone else hunt these areas? Not looking for anyone to give up secret honey holes or info just curious if any other TOO members hunt up here.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have hunted Egypt Valley for the last twenty years and my dad for almost thirty (since the coal companies owned it).

I have walked through parts of Jockey hollow and it was impressive but also very large.

I don't bow hunt but can try to help you out.

whack

Cool thanks for the reply. I have heard some big bucks come out of this area but not sure what was considered a decent buck for these areas. I was hunting off 108 on the 800 end in sewellsville in Egypt valley and on 104 in Egypt valley below those big corn fields. I'll be on 260 right in the middle of jockey hollow to start off. See where I end up after a couple days of snooping around.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
There are definitely some big ones in those areas but they are smart because the area gets a lot of pressure during the season.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I don't bowhunt so I don't know what "a lot" of bowhunting pressure is. However, when I go through squirrel or rabbit hunting/looking for sign prior to gun season I always run into a few bowhunters or see stands set up.

During the gun season it can get pretty busy in some of the areas right close to the roads.

Cephas50

I bow hunt Egypt Valley every November with a group who has gone out there for several years. One guy took a monster 17 in 2010. I was seriously considering running up to Jockey Hollow this year. I'm following this thread to see what kind of responses you get. We hunt early November for four days and I want to make the most of that short time. How did it go? See anyone else? I've heard that the Northeast corner doesn't get hit as hard but I've never been out there so who knows.

whack

Well that's pretty much where I am at the above 261 in the northeast part. I haven't come across anyone else yet. I really don't expect to hunting Monday-Friday but we shall see.