Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How do your deer look?

Lundy

I pulled cards from 7 cameras yesterday that I have had out for a couple of weeks in Athens.

Nothing exciting, bunches of small bucks, fawns still with spots, nursing fawns, coyotes everywhere

I did notice that the deer look really bad. There are two does that look like they are starving to death. Their ribs and hip bones stick out really badly, they are in bad shape. Overall the deer all looked thin.

Anyone else in the Athens area seeing the same?

rsmith

I'm not in the Athens area but where I'm at they are all happy and fat! I do still have 1 doe with spots and another with spots almost all gone. I hope they make it. Not a lot of big bucks yet, had a couple up until the 2nd week in September than the split up but I got great pics starting in November so I hope they come back around the same way they did last year just in day light!

teej89

NE PA
I'm in athens too and coyotes everywhere! The does look fairly good except one, she's exactly as you explain above and I've also had a couple fawns with spots, thru the end of september actually.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I have a camera setup in Meigs County and their is 1 doe with twins that I noticed her ribs were showing but I just assumed the fawns were still nursing and had her leaned out.

Our place in Meigs Co. the doe numbers still seem low, even though we may have gained one or two. They just haven't appeared much on trail cams through the summer, even over corn piles. Bucks we have several young bucks, mostly under 2 1/2. Have a couple up and comers but the occasional shooter isn't around near enough to say they'll stick around. Plenty of coyotes though. Had 5 in one picture at one point, all good sized. There was a female with what we thought were 3 pups total and they're getting bigger too. One stand I recently set up it seems may be overlooking their den up in the rocks as they really frequent that spot a lot from all different directions.

Lundy

I have a least two that look really bad like this. They are both nursing single fawns

And many more that are pretty thin like this, also nursing single fawns.

I also have not seen any deer with more than one fawn for sure so far

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
All deer are fat and healthy here in Butler County. Don't understand the ribs showing as everything is still green here. Looks like sick one's to me and that's not good overall. Keep us posted.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've got one that looks really thin to me, but over the last couple weeks she has started to fatten up a little. This is the time of year they gain most of their weight, so hopefully you just have some that have lagged behind a little.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The rest of the deer around my area look healthy except this one.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412959716210.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412959716210.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 89

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A couple questions to think about. The skinny deer shown is this just a normal thing in nature? Or is there some type of sickness?
Or is these deer showing up because of the 1000's of game camera out in the field and we are just seeing what's sorta normal in nature?
Just asking.