Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which game camera?

Lundy

I have 4 bushnell trophy cams, 2 Primos 46's, and 3 older Moultries.

I am going to retire the Primos and Moultrie cams to get away from the D cell batteries and less than great battery life.

I could just buy some more trophy cams as they have never given me any issues.

What do you suggest in the $150ish range? I don't want to spend much more for fear of them getting carried away.

I have one old Moultrie 8-10 years old white flash that uses 6 D cells and is the size of small suitcase but it takes so many good pictures and where I always set it some of my largest bucks of the year on the pics. It just won't quit working. I have no issues with that white flash but it is time to have a replacement with better battery life.

Didn't you all do a big pre-buy with Spypoint or someone a year or so ago? How did they work out?

Thanks for your input.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I've had good luck with moultrie, I have 5 years on most and I usually leave them out there all year. Not that I'm taking pictures, just to lazy to take them down. That being said they are slowly dieing on me, and it's time to replace them.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I only have two cams, but I'll take my Moultrie over my Bushnell Trophy cam.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The 2014 Trophy Cams are less than impressive. I have the black flash and the night pictures are dark, grainy, and most of the time blurry. Very disappointing.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I havery to admit, I've been somewhat impressed with the primos ultra I picked up a couple years ago. I got the 40, but I think there is also a 35 and a 46. Fits in the palm of my hand, A A batteries last a while, takes good pics and video. If I was interested in buying another cam, I would get another one of those.

Big Weff

Athens
I am also partial to moultrie. Great battery life on my m-80 with the "black technology". Always at least a year before I have to change the batteries out

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You guys that run the Moultries, do any of you have black flash cameras? How is the flash range, and picture clarity at night? How often do you get blurry pics?

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Had two moultrie 880s they stopped working after a yr. Still have an old flash moultrie and takes great pics. Have the moultrie black flash been out 2 yrs no problems and descent night pics .great day pics.Most cams are pretty much disposable and dont last long.Just bought a wildgame 8mp black flash on sale at sportsman guide for 89.00 regular 160.00.Will let you know how it works on my next pull.I will not pay more than that for cams anymore.These are pics off the moultrie black flash. uploadfromtaptalk1412897331844.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412897462808.jpg

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I have 4 Moultrie's 2 Browning's and 1 Wildgame Innovations. The WI is one I bought on sale and I don't like it. It only takes good pictures if the sun is out. If you set it up in a shady area you get white outs. I like the Moultrie's but I hate that they take C batteries. I bought some spacers for those that allow me to use AA batteries in those cameras. The Browning cameras I just bought in the last 2 years and I like them a lot. They take great pictures, battery life is good and they only cost $120 each. Plus they have security loops on the back that allow you to run a Pylthon lock right through them.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have always been a Bushnell man but the last one (#3) has been a bummer.
I just picked up a Browning strike force. The thing that appealed to me was a decent set of reviews out there and a .64 trigger w/ a 100' IR light.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have always been a Bushnell man but the last one (#3) has been a bummer.
I just picked up a Browning strike force. The thing that appealed to me was a decent set of reviews out there and a .64 trigger w/ a 100' IR light.

You are gonna like it. The stump and tree in the background are farther than 100 feet.