Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Confusion of ODNR's wording once again

rsmith

Okay so I was reading over the season for whitetail when I came across something kind of stood out. Early muzzleloader antlerless only for October 11-12, now can I still take a buck with my bow this weekend or is it doe only for everyone? I'm sorry if this seams like a stupid question but my girlfriends dad asked me if I saw it and knew if that was a antlerless only for muzzleloader of it was for bow and muzzle? I'm just looking to make sure what's right for future reference, I feel like it's only for muzzleloader but I guess they could make it a thing for antlerless only for the weekend. Thanks

rsmith

What wording lead you to believe that?

I am just new to hunting and I did not know that they did this, I just thought that they may have opening muzzleloader to doe only but after reading online I see it says statewide antlerless muzzleloader rifle October 11-12 and not statewide antlerless deer only bow and muzzleloader rifle October 11-12. Thank you for the clearing it up for me though and sorry for the stupid question I just wanted to make sure it was a statewide antlerless only weekend

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
It's a good question that I think they should specifically state, even if bowhunting you must wear orange and doe only as well. I wont be hunting seriously but carrying my muzzy and doing some scouting, I took Monday off work again this year so I can get back to the real hunting

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I am just new to hunting and I did not know that they did this, I just thought that they may have opening muzzleloader to doe only but after reading online I see it says statewide antlerless muzzleloader rifle October 11-12 and not statewide antlerless deer only bow and muzzleloader rifle October 11-12. Thank you for the clearing it up for me though and sorry for the stupid question I just wanted to make sure it was a statewide antlerless only weekend

Better to ask that's for sure. As a new hunter I'm sure it doesn't make sense to have a doe only weekend regardless of weapon... Doesn't make complete sense to a veteran hunter either but it is what it is.

rsmith

Thanks all for the info, idk why they think that the woods is swarming with deer?? We all know, well at least the spots we're hunting at that their isn't enough! Haha I guess I'll be sitting that weekend out

It is a fair question, but if one takes the time to read it is clearly stated under the Deer Hunters CAN and CANNOT heading.

Deer archery hunt during the antlerless deer muzzleloader season. Archery hunters must comply with the hunter orange requirement and can only take antlerless deer Oct. 11 and Oct. 12, 2014..

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Not a stupid question at all. As the only stupid question is the one that is never asked.
Now stupid is the 69 bucks checked in during the early ML doe only season in 2013.

Yep like the others...you lost a weekend of bowhunting for that buck with that smart decision. This weekend would have been our next opportunity to head back down but now we have to wait til towards the end of October if we are lucky.

I wonder if the 69 "lucky" hunters were cited with a violation. I sure hope they were. Some people just go out hunting without even reading the regulations. I blame some of this on the fact that you can buy licenses and tags online and never get a booklet with the regs. But, then again the regs are online TOO if one takes the time to read them.

rsmith

Not a stupid question at all. As the only stupid question is the one that is never asked.
Now stupid is the 69 bucks checked in during the early ML doe only season in 2013.

That's some crap right their, they need to fine them hard if they do tag a buck during a doe only weekend. That's just terriable, I'm glad I asked though so I didn't make a stupid decision

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I wonder if the 69 "lucky" hunters were cited with a violation. I sure hope they were. Some people just go out hunting without even reading the regulations. I blame some of this on the fact that you can buy licenses and tags online and never get a booklet with the regs. But, then again the regs are online TOO if one takes the time to read them.

I wonder if there is a spike in buck numbers on the following Monday morning is what would make me wonder.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I wonder if there is a spike in buck numbers on the following Monday morning is what would make me wonder.

That interesting to see those numbers. If I had a guess I'd say more bucks were checked in that day than any other single day all season. All the bucks taken illegally would be checked in monday