Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Taking my 6yr old hunting

Mao

Coshocton, OH
What are the legalities of taking my 6 year old daughter Xbow hunting on my dads land? She has not done the hunter safety course, but can I get an apprentice liscense and take her with me? Thanks for guidance in advance.

lung buster

hocking county
She doesn't need a license to hunt on grandparents land. She will need a youth tag. The apprentice license is great and I used it to get both of my kids in the woods at the age of 6. They both killed deer their first year out. Its very doable and good luck!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
She doesn't need a license as she is exempt being the granddaughter of a landowner. However she would need a tag.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Wow hard to believe she is that old already.

Seems crazy to me that she is growing up so fast. She says she wants to go but only shoot a buck. She said she can't shoot a doe. Lol. I am torn whether to take her or not. Not sure she really grasps the magnitude of killing an animal yet.

Seems crazy to me that she is growing up so fast. She says she wants to go but only shoot a buck. She said she can't shoot a doe. Lol. I am torn whether to take her or not. Not sure she really grasps the magnitude of killing an animal yet.

Something to keep in mind too is what if you cannot find the deer? Before I took both kids we talked often about the 'what if's' and all involved with killing an animal. Making sure she is proficient with the Xbow is something you can get her started on and use that for a basis to know if she would be capable. Just have to make that decision like you said if she could understand what it really means. As far as the license thing goes I'd hold off on the apprentice license and do the landowner grandchildren thing first. At least until you have to get it for hunting other lands since you would have 3 years before she would have to take hunters safety. 9-10 year olds taking the test can be a bit difficult when it comes to the written questions.

GhostMedic

I too have a 6 year old girl. She is a bit wishy washy on going hunting. Some days she wants to go really bad, other days she doesn't like the idea of hunting in general. She loves nature and I agree that there is a concern about understanding the magnitude of taking an animals life. I take my little girl scouting and she has asked to go backpacking for her birthday. That makes me feel like I'm doing something right. The problem is I don't believe she understands the permenance of death. Before I take her hunting I will want to make sure she understands that we are blessed to be able to partake in natures bounty. That she understands that after a kill she will be required to clean it (with help) and that we will use as much as the animal as possible. I also agree with Big_Holla that she needs to be prepared to get skunked. I think as long as she enjoys being in the woods and gets the concept of killing an animal you should be good. Regardless of what you decide I commend you for getting her outside and showing her how amazing the outdoors can be.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Laylahunt.jpg

After doing a lot of practice shooting and 3D target shooting, last night was the first time I took her out. We talked a lot about most likely not getting a shot and just enjoying going hunting. We hunted a homemade tree stand that is more like a tree house. She really liked the idea of that. She played a lil Minecraft on my phone but often gave it back to me while she watched for deer. She did a great job of whispering only and the tree house kept her hid well. We did not see a deer, but all in all it was a great time and she wants to go again soon.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Something to keep in mind too is what if you cannot find the deer? Before I took both kids we talked often about the 'what if's' and all involved with killing an animal. Making sure she is proficient with the Xbow is something you can get her started on and use that for a basis to know if she would be capable. Just have to make that decision like you said if she could understand what it really means. As far as the license thing goes I'd hold off on the apprentice license and do the landowner grandchildren thing first. At least until you have to get it for hunting other lands since you would have 3 years before she would have to take hunters safety. 9-10 year olds taking the test can be a bit difficult when it comes to the written questions.

Good points BH - do you really think a 6 year old kid understands what hunting is AKA killing an animal? Im guessing that most kids that age are wanting to go out with their parents because they want to spend time with them not kill stuff. Most kids I'm guessing in the lower 48 certainly don't hunt to feed their families so it not a put food on the table type thought process. I'm thinking kids in their teenage years might be better suited to understand the picture of hunting and the ramifications of killing animals. I can see businesses pushing youth's to hunt, because it a money making tool, but to be honest I think its a big dis-service to the child. JMTC