Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

question

101eagle

After I got out of the service I found I was very bored last minute I decided to take up bow hunting. My questions is this I had to buy an apprentice hunting license because I hadn't taken the hunters ed course and all classes were fully booked but online there isn't an option to buy deer tags do I need them or is that only for the person who takes me along? Also I scheduled my class for Nov 5th can I purchase a new license afterwards? Please im a complete novice so dont be too harsh

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Did you let them know you're prior service? That might waive the hunters Ed class.... Not real sure about it but never hurts too ask....
My understanding of the apprentice license is you have too be with an adult who is also a licensed hunter, I may be wrong on that and someone will correct me if I am.... Hope this helps some....

rsmith

If you are shooting a deer you need a tag. I would stop in your local hunting store and purchase one if you intend to shoot something. Also you may be able to wave your license classes being vet so I would call ODNR and ask about that. Also with a apprentis license you can not go into the woods without a adult that has a valid hunting license, if you do go without and get caught kiss the rest of your hunting life goodbye. Also if you recently took up bowhunting and are shooting a compound bow please make sure you are ready to harvest a animal, be in touch with someone that has hunted and knows how to field dress a deer, also are you going to take the meat to a butcher or home process? But please make sure you can at least shoot a 2 inch group at 20 yards, and a 3 inch group at 30 yards before trying to shoot a deer. Also make sure you have good broadheads that fly good and true or they may be way off when you go to shoot a deer and miss or worse wound it. Practice up and make sure you are 100% good to go and ready, than if no tags are online there server may be down so maybe run to Bass Pro, Dicks, Cabelas, or the G word "Gander Mountain". Hope this helps and best of luck to you this year.

You buy the Apprentice License to be able to hunt in the state of Ohio, the deer tag is separate and necessary to hunt deer and is the same tag for everyone else. There is no Apprentice deer tag, only the regular either sex deer tag.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
ok here are some tips buddy!

1. Where are you located, might grab dinner or lunch with a guy here who can walk you through the ups/downs of hunting
2. Do you have a good friend, family member who is going to take you hunting?
3. Welcome to the forum and sport, this is a great place to learn! If guys are too harsh well let them have it!

Thank you for your service!

Albert

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Welcome TOO our home away from home.
Thank You for your service!
No question is stupid around here....We enjoy helping each other .
Hope you make yourself at home here.
Good Luck Hunting!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I finally caught up with my neighbor out back and got my hunt permission slip signed. Told me to shoot all the coyotes I see but can't snare or trap.
He informed he's seen a nice buck out back by my property. Probably the one I seen in 2012 at about 300-400 yds.