Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2014 Deer harvest to date.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
All the acorns down here, deer are spread out just anywhere having a grand buffet. tough to get on em.

Ahh the old. "The deer numbers are ok they're just everywhere you aren't" theory. I remember a couple years ago Tonk claiming the acorns were spotty making all the deer group up and that's why the harvest numbers were low. The next year the harvest numbers were low because there were tons of acorns and the deer didn't have to move to get food. As evident by the lack of dead squirrels on the road. The reality is the acorns don't have a thing to do with it. The harvest numbers are low because the population is low. Maybe the large amount of acorns we're seeing on the ground has to do with the deer population being the lowest it's been in 10+ years. Think about it that way. If an area has half the deer it once did you're going to find double the acorns.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree Joe! I will not be killing a doe here in the SW unless its late and I still haven't killed a deer and need the meat.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Yep - up here on my place where i hunt it was deer central a few years ago - the tracks in my back field in the winter snow look like a railroad yard there were so many. Last year zip - no deer - no tracks - had two trail cams up all year - nothing - picking up a couple at night now - talked to a bunch of neighbors around who are all experienced hunters - that had the same experience last few years - dang

oh yeah in the past i could sit on my back porch and see deer all summer - dang

Schu72

Streetsboro
Anyone else notice that the archery totals and all season totals don't match. What other method of hunting was there in the first 4 days?

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Ahh the old. "The deer numbers are ok they're just everywhere you aren't" theory. I remember a couple years ago Tonk claiming the acorns were spotty making all the deer group up and that's why the harvest numbers were low. The next year the harvest numbers were low because there were tons of acorns and the deer didn't have to move to get food. As evident by the lack of dead squirrels on the road. The reality is the acorns don't have a thing to do with it. The harvest numbers are low because the population is low. Maybe the large amount of acorns we're seeing on the ground has to do with the deer population being the lowest it's been in 10+ years. Think about it that way. If an area has half the deer it once did you're going to find double the acorns.

I def agree the numbers are down...just saying its hard to locate feeder trees because every tree is raining acorns.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I def agree the numbers are down...just saying its hard to locate feeder trees because every tree is raining acorns.

I definitely agree with that buddy. I remember how hard it was to hunt the big woods of Vinton county. The deer bedded where their ass hit the ground and some years all they had to do was poke around their bed for food. Made it challenging that's for sure.