Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shot a doe..now im stumped

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well you Rage lovers will scoff, but the reason I stopped shooting them was the "slit" they leave. The last deer I killed was a high lung hit. I found her by going to where I last heard her because there was no blood trail. Both entrance and exit wounds looked like paper cuts. Combined with a high hit, the blood never stood a chance of exiting the chest cavity.

Sorry to hear man. Hope you can find her yet.

Kaiser878

ohio
That deers not dead. Choice of broad head woilsnt have mattered. I've never shot a deer though the vitals and had it been that clean. Just not possible

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Well you Rage lovers will scoff, but the reason I stopped shooting them was the "slit" they leave. The last deer I killed was a high lung hit. I found her by going to where I last heard her because there was no blood trail. Both entrance and exit wounds looked like paper cuts. Combined with a high hit, the blood never stood a chance of exiting the chest cavity.

But, but, but.......They leave a 2" vaginal slit that should kill a deer instantly

Kaiser878

ohio
Killed a coyote instantly last night. :)
uploadfromtaptalk1412181934871.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.

with that being said, indians would have starved to death using the flint heads...when did alright until winchester came along

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
with that being said, indians would have starved to death using the flint heads...when did alright until winchester came along
No argument there. But sharp rocks are not surgical stainless steal either. Doubt you can compare the two wounds.

Rages also caused the most devastating wound I've ever inflicted on an animal. Still doesn't mean they aren't flawed in some aspects.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
No argument there. But sharp rocks are not surgical stainless steal either. Doubt you can compare the two wounds.

Rages also caused the most devastating wound I've ever inflicted on an animal. Still doesn't mean they aren't flawed in some aspects.

every broadhead is flawed thats for sure...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No debate here. I'm not saying the broadhead is to blame here. I was simply offering up a personal anectdote on how a Rage can kill a deer and not leave a blood trail.

Buckmaster

Portage
I was simply offering up a personal anectdote on how a Rage can kill a deer and not leave a blood trail.

That is correct but unfortunate, every deer (12-15) that I've shot with a 2 blade Rage fell dead within sight of the tree stand.....no blood trail required for tracking purposes.
Makes for easy pick up.

Kaiser878

ohio
I will tell u this......one of the best shots I've ever seen in my life literally didn't bleed a drop....I went and helped a Buddy find a deer he shot with a muzzy 4 blade. Perfect shot.....exited low in the pocket of the off shoulder..... deer literally didn't bleed a drop..... the loose skin in the armpit held all the blood..... and it didn't spill any.....craziest thing I've ever seen

I will tell u this......one of the best shots I've ever seen in my life literally didn't bleed a drop....I went and helped a Buddy find a deer he shot with a muzzy 4 blade. Perfect shot.....exited low in the pocket of the off shoulder..... deer literally didn't bleed a drop..... the loose skin in the armpit held all the blood..... and it didn't spill any.....craziest thing I've ever seen

Soooo you're saying two blades fell out?!?! :smiley_crazy: LOL Just kidding! :smiley_cowboy:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm a firm believer in a good shot will drop a deer no matter what broad head you're using where as a not so good shot will bring out their weakness as well....

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh

yeah but they et bugs and bark and roots and rice and grass and feesh and berries and seeds and oh fugg i forget - dang

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I find it amusing to read this stuff. Good points all around. Wonder if OP read any of it today? Lol

Zach- quit shooting those 10lb pups. Lol