Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shot a doe..now im stumped

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Drilled a doe at 20 yards tonight. Complete pass through. Cant find any blood anywhere besides on the arrow. Im absolutely stumped. I'll get pics of the arrow up as soon as I can get back to the computer.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Sometimes its 30 yards or so before they fill up and spill out the hole. And like cotty said it made be plugged up with fat . don't give up if its in the goodies you will find blood I would think.

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Im shooting the new red rage 2 blades, with the spiral tips. The arrow is deffinately not drenched in blood by any means but there are many little clumps like you can see in the one picture. Does not smell or seem like guts. Im pretty confident in my shooting but this is the only night that we have no been filming and I thought the gopro was on her but wasnt so I have no way to review the hit.

20140930_211900.jpg
20140930_211954.jpg

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Yea.. above vitals and right below the spine.

Its very well possible. Thats why I turned to you guys from advice. I couldn't really tell where the hit was. The nock lit and zipped right through, I saw it burry into the ground and she started stumbling through the thickest stuff in the woods.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I agree. Meat or fat like "No Mans Land". Vitals would have brighter blood.
Give A wide circle 30-50 yards out to try to pick up blood but a hit that high may not bleed much and in some cases, not even be fatal.
Keep us posted and best of luck on the recovery.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That arrow did not go through a deer's chest.

I'm with Brock. That arrow either went high into the back or low and caught the brisket. My vote is high because the brisket would have had more fat on that arrow. Would have almost had a white slick look to it. Dante brisket hit a buck a couple years ago. Dante, Beener, and myself looked for hours and found no blood at all other then where the arrow laid. Finally found that buck about 1/2 mile on the opposite side of the farm dead that next spring while shed hunting all ate up by the yote. Sucks but it happens and like Brock said, that arrow didn't hit vitals or there would be more blood on that arrow.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was thinking meat hit when I saw the arrow as well. Was the deer broadside? Quartering at all? Sure it went through the chest and not the neck?