Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The strange this we see in the woods

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have seen them. You are not crazy. They exist. Just be thankful you don't remember the part where they transported you back down from their ship. I remember it and it was traumatic.

Seriously though, I was thinking they were about the size of potato bugs. Weird for sure.

Ha. Phil got the anal probe...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm stumped with this one. I hunted both mornings this weekend and I was in the same stand. It was an hour and a half before legal shooting time, it's pitch black and I start seeing these blueish white lights coming from the ground. There were maybe a total of 5 or 6 at different times. They were the size of a marble and emitted no halo around the light. They didn't move. I was able to put my binos on them and then they appeared to be the size of a pea. These things would light up bright and then fade after 10-30 seconds. There were more Saturday morning than Sunday morning. What kind of insect in northwest Ohio emits bio-luminescence besides lightning bugs? Glow worms? I was a little freaked out.:smiley_confused_vra

I'd be a little freaked out TOO.
(and Phils explanation doesn't help make it any better either... lol)

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
dang that's pretty cool! Same thing was happening w/ me in the spring I was seeing these tiny little white dots on the trail I was on but when I flipped on my headlight there was nothing there. I'm assuming it was some kinda small bug I was seeing but you were seeing it from aways away which is wild.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
From OSU
Michael, there are several species of glowworms and all are elongate but their light organs can be the size you describe. Others have much smaller glow organs. I'm still thinking that you may be seeing one of the small mushroom species that is bioluminescent. We have a couple of the species in Ohio that can produce the bluish-white glow and one is very small. Occasionally, the Jack-o-lantern mushroom glows, but it is more of an orange color! The pulsating brightness however is more typical of some of the glowworm species. In short, not sure what you were seeing!