Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Milo's Wood arrow build along

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Okay so I started in on a half dozen arrows today and decided I would try to do a build along. Now let's start off by saying this is the way "I" "eye" and "aye" do them. There are a few ways to skin this cat and I will just be showing you mine.

First, Don't be a tight ass and buy shafts from someone that doesn't know what is wood arrow is supposed to be be made of. Seriously there are some hacks out there. Now let's get to building.

These arrows are for JOHNROHIO here on our site. I finally got his recurve up and going and the grin he had from under that manly mustache, I'm envious of course, made it necessary to get going on these.

So here we go... First I marked all my shafts down 10 inches from the nock end. Right now I'm not going to put a taper on them until I get the stain where I want it. I don't like fulling with paints that much. Made too many mistakes and expectations that never surfaced so I went on a search for stains to do mostly the same thing. I know shut up milo and post some pics

image.jpg. Here is the stain I'm using and what it looks like on the bare shaft

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpg

Yes my workbench is a mess and my lovely bride let me know about it too.. Shut it

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpg

This is my higly sophisticated application technique....called the old sock method...I recently upgraded from old dirty sock method ...because I was doing white...

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpg

Okay here they are drying and ready for stain on the other half of the arrow..

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
iPhones are retards sorry for the upside down pics... I promise that white stain won't drip down from the ceiling

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpg

Ok so I selected a lighter color stain for the point end of the arrow. I want these to be easy to find for this newbie.. Lots of things going on when your focusing on the shot for a new guy so we try to accommodate.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
That's it for tonight mostly. I'm going to steel wool the arrow lightly and reapply on more coat of white before I go on to the next step which will be tapers and sealing the arrow I will also bring the arrows in side and lay them flat in a controlled environment until they are sealed.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Dam peanut gallery anyway. :smiley_arrogant:

Okay so we busted out the taper jig..this is to put on points and nocks.. You can be lame and by pencil sharpener taper tool or you can express your manliness and get the woodchuck taper tool. This thing is like driving nails with a backhoe ..
image.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
As you can see it puts a nice point and nock taper on the image.jpg

Last edited: