Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Using a rangefinder

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just wanted to post up a simple solution to fixing the problem of bumble fugging around trying to range a deer a mere few seconds before shooting it regardless of any type weapon you have with you.....DO IT BEFORE THE SHOT OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS ITSELF!!!

This was brought up on the Kick In 196" thread and I see nearly every friggin TV personality doing this as a slob comes walking in and it just gets in my crawl!!! I know those so called experts are prolly just pimping that product but the most "simple" fix is to range ALL possible shot windows,landmarks and lanes so when the adrenalin is pumping you can totally concentrate on that spot you want that arrow to hit and not risk the chance of being caught moving or worse missing the shot opt because he already walked through the only spot you had a shot!
I make sure I have EVERY shot location down in my head when erecting my stands no matter if its the first time I sat in that tree or the 50th! As soon as I'm in the stand and locked in the bow is pulled up, nocked and loaded and my range finder is zeroing in on every possible shot locale. I will do this throughout the sit especially when things are slow as it helps pass the time but most importantly when crunch time comes to a head all you have to do is focus on is when to draw and making the best shot possible!
We owe it to the deer to make a quick killing shot and the better prepared we are the better our chance are in success! Wounding a deer is bound to happen from time to time as string jumping or deflections or other factors will occur but yardage should not be one of them, IMO.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
As soon as I'm in the stand and locked in the bow is pulled up, nocked and loaded and my range finder is zeroing in on every possible shot locale. I will do this throughout the sit especially when things are slow as it helps pass the time

I like to make a game out of it. I will guess the yardage to a tree, rock, stump, limb... and then range it to see how close I am. Helps to improve yardage estimation.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I do the same, Good advice. I sight my x bow in so its good to 45 yards with one pin. So as long as I know where 45 yards is I'm good to shoot anything in front of that spot. Only problem I have is when I'm hunting a field edge. Its hard to remember a clump of weed or something laying in the field. Or a spot out in the soybeans.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have my sets in pretty much the same spot for a couple years at a time before I move them around and have ranged everything so many times while watching the leaves and squirrels it isn't funny lol. If I am in a new spot I do like Dante and make it a game. I don't mark every little thing all around me. Way to many numbers to try and remember and I guarantee you will not remember more then about 3 markers when that deer comes walkin in so keep it limited and simple to remember. If you keep shot angles in mind you shouldn't need more then 4-5 spots to range at most IMO.

One thing people don't think about while watching these shows is the editing. Most of these "hunters" are ranging before the deer come in but with the magic of editing it looks like they wait until the last minute. Some shows the "hunter" does wait until the deer is coming in and I agree it is a bad idea. Way to many things going on to mess with trying to range it specially when it is inside 30 yards. If your waiting until he is that close chances are your going to get nailed and your done for, game over.

angelzd28

I had a range finder for the first time last year and it did wonders for me to get my buck. Funny thing is I do the same as most here and make a game out of how far I think something is. I also try not to range every inch of ground cuz I know I cant remember all the spots. What I do is pick 3 or 4 of the most obvious spots I think the deer will give the best shot and commit those to memory. If the deer does something crazy and catches me off guard I pick the closest mark to it and give it my best guestimate.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like to make a game out of it. I will guess the yardage to a tree, rock, stump, limb... and then range it to see how close I am. Helps to improve yardage estimation.

I do the same and it helps pass the time.

Back when I had more time than sense, I used to mark trees with different color spray paint. I had a few stands hung on field edges and I would drive survey stakes at 20, 30, and 40. I did what I could to take the guess work out. Now that I'm not nearly as prepared, I just range a bunch of stuff when I sit down and keep them in mind. I have several stands in the same spots year after year, so I know what those yardages are without ranging them.

teej89

NE PA
just don't forget to range the tree eye level with you and not the base of the tree. You'll shoot over em everytime. Well depending on the angle too but just range it at eye level.

Awww mannn........ but using a range finder just before making a bad shot on a deer is soooo good for ratings and the company!!

Yep, even if I am in a stand I've been in several times I still range trees, stumps, trails, etc. to refresh that memory.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awww mannn........ but using a range finder just before making a bad shot on a deer is soooo good for ratings and the company!!

Yep, even if I am in a stand I've been in several times I still range trees, stumps, trails, etc. to refresh that memory.
Exactly. I think more often than not they just show the guys ranging deer for the marketing. That shit can be edited in after the fact pretty easily.

Even so, you're spot on Ric. To not range lanes and trees before an opportunity presents itself is just foolish.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I don't own a range finder but I won't shoot at a deer past 30 yards currently and I'd rather it be under 25 yards. I am also a newb and hunt with a crossbow that doesn't change much between 10-30 yards.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
just don't forget to range the tree eye level with you and not the base of the tree. You'll shoot over em everytime. Well depending on the angle too but just range it at eye level.

Excellent point TJ and also bend at the waist!

I like playing the games to and practice estimations before verifying yardages but come the rut I'm there to kill a big buck and I want all the guess work gone so I'm ready to make the shot, that's all I'm trying to convey.

I think so many times these TV shows(like Adam said) show less successful strategies just so they can pimp something.

Back in the day before rangefinders we just shot our bows out of the treestand after erecting it and pruning lanes or simply stepped it off from the base of the tree then shooting to verify yardages. TJ is 100% correct though, rarely do hunters shoot under a deer. If that happens,9-10 times in was using the wrong pin,buckfever or just not knowing the correct yardage.(this is just my own opinion as I have no proof)
Ron and I and our closest hunting buddies have talked about missing too high versus too low in years past and we all agree that it would be better to miss too low than too high.

High hits = dead zone hit,longer it takes for blood spillage,deer jumping the string and arrow missing high thus wounding a deer are among some of the results. The only good/lucky but positive is a spine shot which leads to instant dropping of deer but usually a lot of suffering, IMO.

Low hits = quicker blood spillage, if deer jumps string the arrow stands a better chance of hitting kill zone and if you miss low you usually miss the deer completely and you don't wound the animal.

I'm not wanting to start a debate but just mentioning a discussion y'all can hash over around the campfire. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I just wanted to post up a simple solution to fixing the problem of bumble fugging around trying to range a deer a mere few seconds before shooting it regardless of any type weapon you have with you.....DO IT BEFORE THE SHOT OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS ITSELF!!!

This was brought up on the Kick In 196" thread and I see nearly every friggin TV personality doing this as a slob comes walking in and it just gets in my crawl!!! I know those so called experts are prolly just pimping that product but the most "simple" fix is to range ALL possible shot windows,landmarks and lanes so when the adrenalin is pumping you can totally concentrate on that spot you want that arrow to hit and not risk the chance of being caught moving or worse missing the shot opt because he already walked through the only spot you had a shot!
I make sure I have EVERY shot location down in my head when erecting my stands no matter if its the first time I sat in that tree or the 50th! As soon as I'm in the stand and locked in the bow is pulled up, nocked and loaded and my range finder is zeroing in on every possible shot locale. I will do this throughout the sit especially when things are slow as it helps pass the time but most importantly when crunch time comes to a head all you have to do is focus on is when to draw and making the best shot possible!
We owe it to the deer to make a quick killing shot and the better prepared we are the better our chance are in success! Wounding a deer is bound to happen from time to time as string jumping or deflections or other factors will occur but yardage should not be one of them, IMO.

Spot on, I do the same thing I will range trees and lanes where my shot ops are most likely to take place. It really gets my goat when you see the guys on TV fumble fucking with range finders and pointing and talking. Another one that gets me is when they put the binos on a big buck when it's 50 yards and walking to them.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Low all day over high. I hear to many "no man's land" stories. That happened to my dad a few years back on a good buck. It was later killed by a neighbor during shotgun season.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I range objects right after I get settled in. This is off subject, but I was just watching the outdoor channel. This guy was hunting with a rifle and had a nice buck walking straight at him about 100 yards out. The Dumbass starts grunting and snort wheezing at it like it was walking away from him, Wtf?

I range objects right after I get settled in. This is off subject, but I was just watching the outdoor channel. This guy was hunting with a rifle and had a nice buck walking straight at him about 100 yards out. The Dumbass starts grunting and snort wheezing at it like it was walking away from him, Wtf?

No doubt, that's a chip shot with a rifle I would have sat his ass down!!