Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening Weekend Plans

angelzd28

ENE winds is good for my setup. Although a straight N wind would be the most ideal. My good stand is just inside a tree line that the deer like to stage out of before hitting a clover field. They either come out of a steep draw or the flat ridge next to it. I need the wind to be blowing from the south as thats where they come from. So hopefully the winds stay the same!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll just sit in my platform blind behind my parents. Reality is, deer come from all directions, so you're never really safe. Not to mention it is in the bottom, so the wind swirls. I'll smoke up good and hope for the best. I do wish I had my old E-NE stand hung at the farm with the way the acorns are this year. Only issue being the fuckwad that leased the neighboring property would probably be sitting in it when I showed up. Nothing like a good old fashioned fist fight on opening day! lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I love the forecast. Yes the wind direction is a bit non-typical, but ENE brings the cool temps and I'm all for that for the opener.

Ditto!!! I've got one stand set up with this wind over looking a great oak flat and hill side that I can slip into via a creek bottom and a face wind up a nice steep bank. As long as I can get in there early enough and the deer aren't there when I slip in there I stand a great chance of killing something. I just have to have the right deer show up!
I missed my target deer back in 2011 on October 2nd and had the exact same wind direction and weather conditions as predicted for Saturday.
I have know idea if anything is hitting those acorns all over the ground directly in my upwind direction at this set but if history repeats itself on Saturday I like my chances. Another positive about this set is I can see them long before they get to me and I can be ready, the only negative is when they are 30-40 yards out we're eye to eye but I've got early season canopy working in my favor right now.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I have my checklist of essentials all crossed off and ready to go for Saturday... 1. Deer View Mirror 2. Acorn Cruncher 3. Cough Silencer 4. Deer Droppins 5.Gum-o-flage 6. Huntin' Buddy 7. Ground Grunt'r 8. Buttout

Mao

Coshocton, OH
But seriously... I will likely doe hunt Sat morning or sleep in. Then it is down to Dresden for bow drives for the rest of the day until the evening sit. I plan to sit in the same tree that I did for the opener last year. I had a real nice shooter coming in the field just after dark there last year. Last Saturday I threw out a ton of pears and a few bags of corn. I have no clue as to what or if anything is hitting it. I am going cam less this year. I will decide what to do Sunday based on Saturday. Expectations are low. Haha. It will be fun to get back into a tree though and I love bow drives.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have my checklist of essentials all crossed off and ready to go for Saturday... 1. Deer View Mirror 2. Acorn Cruncher 3. Cough Silencer 4. Deer Droppins 5.Gum-o-flage 6. Huntin' Buddy 7. Ground Grunt'r 8. Buttout

You don't have any of that green slime?!?! C'mere Deer? WTF???lol

I'd like to be excited, but it ain't easy. The wind is not the best, but I'll smoke my coveralls just to experiment a bit. I'll hunt Saturday morning for a while and then it looks like the next week is to warm for my liking. Got to get out. As a hunting friend once told me "You don't know, if you don't go". Very true statement.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
My best stand needs a sw wind in the am and a ne wind in the evening. But I do have a few stands hung for any winds just not in the greatest spots. I'm surprised how much east wind we are getting and the temps still in the 80s. Hard to get too excited with the temps. But I will be in a stand come sunrise Saturday morning.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Ain't loving it . I've got my best chance to kill a good deer the first week that I've ever had....but I need a none east wind ......so I'm screwed .... but hoping for the best . Good luck to everyone.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just started washing my crap. Usually done a month ago. Shooting like garbage. Haven't shot broadheads yet because I simply need to shoot better. Have the biggest buck I have ever probably hunted on camera. I am not excited to hit the woods. Things will change by Saturday I suppose. I think I am losing my mind or something. I should be doing cartwheels right now. I have stands set for the winds which should put me in position to tag a solid buck or two I have been watching. (Obviously would only shoot one of them but have a couple I am watching.) If I was shooting like I feel I should be shooting I think my mood would be brighter.