Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening day buck?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Fugg no! I'd be tickled pink!!!

Not only could I enjoy a season of doe hunting, duck season would be wide open and I could focus on getting Tracie a good deer. It would be the ultimate blessing hunting wise!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Would it be bittersweet for you?

Yes it would lol... Actually did that back in the 90's.... Doe opening day and a 6 point the following Monday (no Sunday hunting back then) two days two deer and my season done....
Spent a lot of times chasing bunnies and a beagle lol....

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Yes it would if I had something worth going in after. In all my years I've never had a good early season kill, or spot that produces good deer early in the year.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not this year! I'd be thrilled to be done on opening day! There are a lot of great things to do outdoors aside from freezing on the side of a tree.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I would fill my tag in a heart beat opening day also. Like others said, there are to many other animals that I enjoy chasing through out the year.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Not at all.

I would focus more on trapping this year. Like Brock said, there are better things to do then freeze sitting in a stand on the side of a tree.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Shooting a buck opening day is not even on my radar. If it's a big one, or the one from last year in my avatar I would not hesitate and would spend the rest of the season doing other things after topping off the freezer. Maybe kill a bunch of coyotes, little bit of fall fishing, take my daughter hunting and focus on getting her a deer. I'd find stuff to do so it wouldn't be bad and beats freezing my butt off like last year.

Having a big one stroll in before a doe Saturday would be highly unlikely at my spot and the plan is to shoot a doe.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
No problem swallowing that pill....
Tagged out on a mature target buck on the first day? Yep.
Like others have said, I would concentrate on my efforts helping my daughters on their season.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I'll never shoot an early season buck again. I have way to much fun hunting them than to blow it all the first day...

yotehunter

spencerville oh
If I could kill my buck opening day it would be god sent. I could concentrate on getting my boy Jace and my daughter Karly their first ones. I would have more time too trap and coyote hunt and get back to putting my own furs up. But chances are I won't kill the two bucks I'm after all year let alone the first day. Im just hoping to put meat in the freezer the first week or so and I'd be happy.