Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR Strategy

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I don't bother to read it anymore. Propaganda at best. This is the same pub where in 2007,2008,2009 the DNR said the deer population was growing and that's why we killed record numbers. The reality was we were killing record numbers due to their new regs and shrinking the population as they planned. It was a bald faced lie to get hunters to blindly reduce the population and not question the over harvest.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What Joe said. I can't stomach reading any of the rhetoric that comes out of Columbus any more. The only strategy they ever had was to use us to do the dirty work the special interests were paying for.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Read some of that last night. Very long and kept having to take breaks.

The only things I walked away with from that entire thing was this: 1) Stop shooting Button Bucks 2) shoot more does

Oh, and Stop buying multiple tags because the chances of filling more then one tag have decreased for the past 4 years. Basically your wasting your money.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Button bucks are pussies.

I think this might need a source credit... lmao

For those not in the know. The first year down at strouds rex set me up in this area. I warned him beforehand that I came to kill shit and wasn't going to hold anything back. That evening in the stand we're all texting in a big group text about what we're seeing, deer that came close, etc. I shot a BB and it died feet from where I shot it. I mean literally; I double lunged it, it jumped in the air landing on it's back, kicked once, bahhhhed once, and was graveyard dead right there. I just shook my head disappointed that I didn't get the traditional balls to the wall 50 yard death sprint with a big crash common with other deer. I sent a text to the group "button bucks are pussies".

The rest of the evening I spent ribbing Rex's that I shot a booner 4 years before he did; and that he shouldn't be mad that I beat him to the chase and shot this world class buck 4 years before he even knew it existed. In a conversation with Tonk later that evening about the DNR causing the killing of too many deer Tonk said "The problem isn't people killing too many does, It's people shooting button bucks" I just giggled and pointed towards the meat pole " You mean like that one?" lmao

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I read over some of the points. of interest was there was only 4900 or so deer reported taken on damage permits. That does seem low.
Plus there was 69 bucks taken during antlerless early ML season. There you go: poach a buck out of season and report it. Hopefully they learned the law with a hefty fine.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
i think this might need a source credit... Lmao

for those not in the know. The first year down at strouds rex set me up in this area. I warned him beforehand that i came to kill shit and wasn't going to hold anything back. That evening in the stand we're all texting in a big group text about what we're seeing, deer that came close, etc. I shot a bb and it died feet from where i shot it. I mean literally; i double lunged it, it jumped in the air landing on it's back, kicked once, bahhhhed once, and was graveyard dead right there. I just shook my head disappointed that i didn't get the traditional balls to the wall 50 yard death sprint with a big crash common with other deer. I sent a text to the group "button bucks are pussies".

The rest of the evening i spent ribbing rex's that i shot a booner 4 years before he did; and that he shouldn't be mad that i beat him to the chase and shot this world class buck 4 years before he even knew it existed. In a conversation with tonk later that evening about the dnr causing the killing of too many deer tonk said "the problem isn't people killing too many does, it's people shooting button bucks" i just giggled and pointed towards the meat pole " you mean like that one?" lmao

hilarious!!!