Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public hunting question

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I am debating trying to bowhunt some public land this year. I have never hunted on public land before and I've heard about all the bad experiences people have had. What do most people use as far as stand. Climbers seems to be the only thing or maybe on the ground? I currently don't have a climber but have been looking to get one just to use on public land. I would be hunting Battelle Darby Creek. I have been looking at the map of the hunting area and the topo maps. I have about 4 places I'd like to scout that seem to be natural funnels. I currently am hunting a private farm I'm on but it is mostly corn/bean fields with 3 small patches of woods. I don't think the deer live on the property very much just pass through to eat. I am also not seeing the quality of deer I'd like to see. There are a lot of deer that are 100-120". I'm not going to complain but I'm just wanting to give myself more options. So I am wanting to experience hunting the "big timber areas". I'm looking for advice and help to speed up my learning curve for public land and big timber areas.
Thanks

doublej

Light lock on and steps combo would serve you better than a climber, more tree options..easier to setup between limbs for cover. Scout more then you hunt, scout other hunters not just deer..if you see trash,flagging, etc. In an area you are scouting you are better off just leaving it alone. Don't always have to go deep..just hard to get to. Have as many spots as you possibly can come up with its good be be at least 4-5 deep with back up plans. Get in early, and hunt all day..often when other hunters leave for lunch they will bump deer to you

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Public land is a tough deal, ESPECIALLY if your looking for a P&Y type of deer. That's great you have found some natural funnels on the topo, I would definitely look into them. However there is a couple of things I would consider...

Surely someone has done the same analysis of the area and chances are located the same funnels. After all it is public land, but still you should check them out.

When I hunted public land there was two things I looked for.

1.) The farthest pinch points or funnels from an access site

The average weekend warrior is not going to hike a long way in the dark. Go the extra mile, it has paid off for me...

2.) Escape routes to bordering properties ( this is doing the exact opposite of the first strategy I know....)

I had a ton of encounters with good deer within a few hundred feet of an access road splitting the two properties. It was like clockwork watching deer funnel out of the state land and across the road. Find over looked areas that are close to the road. A lot of times you will find out how these deer are eluding the weekend crowd.

Good luck to you this year....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No real advice to offer on hunting public. However I suggest the lightweight hang on and climbing sticks over a climber as well. The hang on and sticks will get you in every tree a climber will, and every tree a climber can't. Climbers have their advantages, especially when you know for sure there is a good tree for it. But in my opinion, having the climbing sticks and a comfortable hang on is worth carrying the extra weight. All depends on preference as carrying 30 pounds isn't for everyone and you can drop a chunk of change right quick in a stand, sticks and pack. I own both versions of mobile sets and my climber pretty much sits in the building all year.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Best advice I can give is to put some boot leather on the ground. Arial photos and tops are nice, but actually getting in there is a must. It sucks to think you have found the perfect funnel only to get there and find out its all Russian olive, green briar, ... not a tree in sight.
If you can find a swampy area, look for a high dry area in it. Most weekend warriors don't want to walk in that stuff and the deer know it.
If you do find a funnel in a thick brushy area, but you see some decen trees in it, find a little opening in the thick stuff, get back in 10 or 15 yards before you start clearing a path. If another hunter sees an opening, he's gonna follow it. Get back in that thick stuff and prep a tree and clear some lanes.

Mushijobah

Get a deer hauler and don't be afraid to hike a mile! Hunt peak rut and watch deer from private land enter your area