Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Picking a location

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
So here is a pic of my property. The notations I made are a little rough buy I think you will get the point. I outlined the property. Showed our 4 stand locations. The property runs east to west, East being the road, west being the back side of the property. The line going down the middle is a creek. The 4 dots are our stands. The North one is a blind, facing south. The east and south ones are climbers. The west one is right at the edge of the property line and is a double ladder. About 30 yards south of the Blind is a timer feeder. Im looking for ideas or thoughts on Entry and set ups if possible. And any other info youd like to pass along. 2014-09-17 12.09.08 1.jpgThanks.

Dustin

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
How are you accessing them? Are they bedding anywhere on your property? What is the field planted in? The north blind I would switch with a climber bc the last thing I'd want is a blind facing south and the sun hitting me and broadcasting all my movement in there to the deer. East stand is your best bet for now.... What are your trail cams telling you if you have nay out?

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Yes this is about 4-5 acres. The East stand looks over a corn field. I have sat in the blind for turkey season and the sun does not seem to be an issue, as we are tucked into a tree line. There are not any real good trees on that portion of the property for a climber. We access on the north side property line for the blind and east stand, and the south side property line for the south and west stands. That is our only available access points. In the picture you will see a small white dot to the north of the corn field, that is approximately where the neighbor is breeding the deer.
Property1.jpg

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Yes this is about 4-5 acres. The East stand looks over a corn field. I have sat in the blind for turkey season and the sun does not seem to be an issue, as we are tucked into a tree line. There are not any real good trees on that portion of the property for a climber. We access on the north side property line for the blind and east stand, and the south side property line for the south and west stands. That is our only available access points. In the picture you will see a small white dot to the north of the corn field, that is approximately where the neighbor is breeding the deer.
View attachment 24003

I would make the extra effort to only use the north entrance/exit or the south ent./exit based soley on the wind conditions...i.e...if you have to hunt the south stand for whatever reason, and its a southeast wind, use the north entrance and take the hike down to the south stand...unless the creek bottom is deep enough and accessible enough to keep your scent down while using the south entrance/exit route.

but the biggest question has already been asked, what are the deer currently doing on this property?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My honest opinion based on what you said in the other thread is you guys are over hunting this ground and regardless of setups/access, you are educating deer in pretty short order. That property is suited for one guy and 2, maybe 3 sets maximum and none of them should really be hunted until prime time. I understand only having one spot and waiting to hunt as much as possible. However you have to decide what is more important: Hunting as much as you can or having quality hunting. This property won't let you have both.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but its just the facts. I have 11 acres behind my parents that is my best property. At best, there are 3 quality stands and only one good entry/exit route. It doesn't take long to overhunt it and if I want to have my best hunts, I better stay out until November. That makes it tough because it is the closest to my house and I always see deer, so I love hunting there. Not to mention I've hunted there every bow season of my career.

If you have to hunt, BT is on the right track with access.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Man the truth hurts. :) The markers for the stands, the only ones that are set up this year is the west and north. North being the blind, which is where we plan to concentrate this year b/c of the feeder. The east and south are climbers that we have not taken out yet. Not sure if we will or not. The west stand is a double ladder that has been there for 2-3 years, but has only been used 1-2x in the first year we put it up. Activity is pretty good. We have seen a few 2-3 year old bucks on our cams and lots of does and fawns. I understand that our property is not the best as far as size and accessibility. But its all we have, so we have to make the best of it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Mushijobah

South stand for sure...make it high enough to prevent wind detection. Great rut spot if it's in the floodplain.