Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mock Scrapes?

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Or piss in it for free. Not that scents and can't work, but after a decade of running cameras over scrapes with various scents and other "gimmicks", my own urine is just as effective.

X 1000! Nothing like keeping it FREE!...Like you said, not saying that the store bought stuff doesn't work, BUT (and theres always a BUT), I believe there is some chemical element to that stuff that could leave deer thinking, "Hey, this isn't a scent from another deer, and If I get out of here alive, I'm not coming back" and "I just got educated".

I started making scrapes in August...from something I read, it sounded like a good idea and made a lot of sense to me.

all I did was find a good candidate for a licking branch, make a scrape under it with my boot or my climbing stick (just like a deer would do with its hoof), and hang a camera near it...within days the deer found the "fresh dirt" and I had fawns, does and at least 2 different bucks (although not both shooters) using one of the scrapes...communication area is now started, by exposing bare ground and letting the deer do their natural work.

I couldn't have been happier about these results since I didn't see a single deer on this property last year except for the day I finally got to hang a stand there. Not one single deer while on stand last year.

I haven't been in there since the beginning of the month, and am anxious to see how much they've used this area when I go back in on opening day!

just my thoughts and situation, to each their own as always!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It is the smell of ammonia that draws them in, along with the visual aspect of fresh dirt. We have what is needed to catch their nose in our own body. Why pay $6-8 bucks for fake stuff!

I agree, I piss right out of my stand. After a few min it all smells like ammonia. A couple years ago 10 min after pissing out of my stand I had a young buck come through, stop and smell it then stood there and pissed on his tarsals. He then walked about 40 yards and laid down for an hour.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I started pissing out of my stand 2-3 years ago and haven't seen it negatively impact deer. I drink a lot of water, so I'm really not pissing out many impurities to make it smell funky.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
hello.... this weekends camera check. I always start my drippers mid august. Also in the same trees year after year and they always hit my scrapes and even do it throughout the year.
PICT0218.jpgPICT0385.jpg

Mushijobah

Saw a guy who tries to make a ton of them to keep the local bucks concentrated in one area. He says it keeps them busy in his hunting area to increase his chances in seeing one.