Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sight pin floating

Hoytman62

Seems like when I am aiming at the target, I have a hard time keeping my sight pin on the target (bulls eye). Seems like it floats all over and I can't keep it still. Any suggestions on the right way to aim and if you do have float when you aim? The right procedure?

Thanks!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Seems like when I am aiming at the target, I have a hard time keeping my sight pin on the target (bulls eye). Seems like it floats all over and I can't keep it still. Any suggestions on the right way to aim and if you do have float when you aim? The right procedure?

Thanks!
lots of possibilities.. Could be grip, form, bow fit and/or release.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Draw your bow, aim, let down. Repeat a dozen times before you ever turn an arrow loose. You'll get steady.

Years back I had about the same problem

I had just increased the pull poundage
That was my problem
I shot a bunch and I probely made my arm stronger and the problem went away

John

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Draw weight usually helps but if your draw length is incorrect it will hurt you as well. Draw length too short, small but erratic pin float. Draw length too long, slower but wider (all over the place) pin float. A happy medium in between is what you want. Don't try to hold it perfectly still... Float it around and over the bullseye as close as you can... A surprise release will ensure it hits its mark. Brock's suggestion of drawing and letting down a bunch of times will help you achieve a surprise release if executed properly.

rsmith

A good way to build up arm strength besides shooting higher poundage is get a 15 pound dumbbell and hold it in your hand you hold your bow in, raise it up like you would your bow and hold for as long as you can without TOO much strain so for about 10-15 seconds to start. Do it for about 10 times a day than gradually increase time held and number of times you do it. It worked for me really well. Also like stated above your pin doesn't have to be dead on target and held right on it but you should be hovering or floating very close to your target. Hope this helps

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Personally, I think this business about a pin "floating around" is nonsense. Basing thoughts on that is a good foundation for target panic IMO. If you are happy with your pin doing figure 8's, you will time the shot and punch the trigger...most people do it, but it doesn't make it right, and it kills accuracy. Then again, accuracy is all relative. Many people are happy with a "kill shot" when with a little correct practice they could hit the hair they wanted.

Assuming proper draw length, try drawing and aiming without shooting. You'll see, eventually, you will be able to lay the pin where you want it, and it will not leave the mark. That doesn't mean you are forcing it to stay there, it just will, even though you are completely relaxed. Do not accept the pin crossing over the mark, back and forth. The figure 8 nonsense is proof that you aren't relaxed and locked in the shot as your muscles are moving the pin around.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Interesting thoughts Brock. I was always taught to let the pin float. Once I made the switch to the Stan, my releases have gotten much more surprised and my accuracy is as good as it has ever been. I suppose to fix the float, I would have to drop from 68 pounds down to something much less. However I'm happy stacking shafts at 30 and shooting baseball sized groups at 40, so no sense in changing anything just yet!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think the confusion comes from the term "float". I think most use the term in an effort to keep folks from feeling the need to force the pin into a spot, adding tension to hold it there. If done properly, it will "float" on the mark, without waiving around. Maybe I didn't make that clear.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I see what you are saying. My "float" is a pretty tight circle when I'm shooting well. I do have a tendency to time it, so I have to watch that. Usually it happens the longer I stay at full draw.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
And baseball size @ 40 yds is about as good as any I've ever seen. I've watched the pro's a dozen times at the practice line, and that's about standard. What separates the good from the great in 3 D is yardage estimation and faith in the estimates. It's a mind game, and knowing you're capable of making the shot, and having confidence in your estimated yardage makes all the difference in how you shoot.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I see what you are saying. My "float" is a pretty tight circle when I'm shooting well. I do have a tendency to time it, so I have to watch that. Usually it happens the longer I stay at full draw.

No one can hold well at full draw for an extended period. Everyone falls apart at some point. The trick it to time your shot a bit before the fall out.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
And baseball size @ 40 yds is about as good as any I've ever seen. I've watched the pro's a dozen times at the practice line, and that's about standard. What separates the good from the great in 3 D is yardage estimation and faith in the estimates. It's a mind game, and knowing you're capable of making the shot, and having confidence in your estimated yardage makes all the difference in how you shoot.

It is not something I do all the time, but it happens enough that its not a fluke. I'm a spot shooter and always have been. I have no business on the 3D course, but I can hold my own shooting at spots from a known distance. At this point, I am completely rangefinder reliant.

buckstar25

T-county
I don't know if its possible to hold your bow so steady that your pin doesn't move....if you are watching your pin move you are not focused on your shot, form, mechanics, etc. Some great tips in this thread, one that completely sold me was this. Once you're at back wall, solid and steady, peep aligned pin on target, open your offhand eye and focus on your target. I had one form of target panic and this helped me a ton! Good luck!

rsmith

I don't know if its possible to hold your bow so steady that your pin doesn't move....if you are watching your pin move you are not focused on your shot, form, mechanics, etc. Some great tips in this thread, one that completely sold me was this. Once you're at back wall, solid and steady, peep aligned pin on target, open your offhand eye and focus on your target. I had one form of target panic and this helped me a ton! Good luck!

This is a very good idea! I had bad target panic and learned that shooting with both eyes helps A LOT

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think the confusion comes from the term "float". I think most use the term in an effort to keep folks from feeling the need to force the pin into a spot, adding tension to hold it there. If done properly, it will "float" on the mark, without waiving around. Maybe I didn't make that clear.
IMO float is float... Some just float the pin in larger "figure 8s" than others. You're not going to hold the pin steady like you're on a bench rest. You just can't. But you can float your pin very tiny amounts over the bullseye, if draw length and weight and form is where it should be.