Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

scent smoker

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Comes to find out that it was a good thing I opened up my container of hunting clothes, I noticed the clothes were damped. Think it was from putting in too much smoke into it, the clothes smelled like mildew. So what im going to do is hang it all up in garage, smoke it up from scent smoker, and waiting for deer season. Anybody have suggestion?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would re-wash the clothes in non-scented soap and start over. Then when dry put back in a closed sealed container. I keep no gas cans in the garage so I think I'm sorta scent free in my garage and do hang my outer heavy clothes up. But probably not totally scent free. But since using the smoker I've hadn't had a problem that I know of.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not sure how smoke creates moisture. That pretty well defies logic. I've been smoking clothes in a tote for years and that's never happened. You sure they were dry when you out them in there?

Just wash them again in warm water and baking soda. Dry them; completely. Then smoke and store. They'll be fine.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure how smoke creates moisture. That pretty well defies logic. I've been smoking clothes in a tote for years and that's never happened. You sure they were dry when you out them in there?

Just wash them again in warm water and baking soda. Dry them; completely. Then smoke and store. They'll be fine.

I would concur with these thoughts. The Scent Smoker itself does not create moisture that I am aware of. IF you smoke them through a hole in your tote, I would have to guess the hole in the tote collected moisture from the concrete or gravel garage floor. Re-wash, re-smoke, and you should be good to go.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The only other way I could see it causing a moister issue is if you smoked some green wood. If you used chips from a bag from the store there should be no moister at all in the wood or smoke.

Rewash and resmoke and you should be good to go.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I had a little mildew smell too. From my coveralls not being completely dry when I put them away the last time last season.

Just wash them and hang them out to dry.

MoonLab

Supporting Member
Tooville
I don't know what I did but I smoked up the tote and turn upside down so the air wouldn't get out

Huckleberry Finn

I had a little mildew smell too. From my coveralls not being completely dry when I put them away the last time last season.

Just wash them and hang them out to dry.

Yea that's what its from...or cold/frozen and throw them in the tote and not hang 'em out. It's certainly not smoke!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wash, smoke and wear it hunting.... Like most have stated, smoke really wouldn't do it unless like Adam stated it was green wood.... But unless you used and outside source other than store bought wood chips I'd say they were somewhat wet when they were put in the tote unless it was in a damp area being stored and the lid didn't have a very tight seal.... Shouldn't have any issues after you wash them.....

MoonLab

Supporting Member
Tooville
I washed them today and they still smell like mildew...so I had to re - wash them again, and they don't smell. I just hung it up for it to dry.

Hmm, never had the problem. If there was any condensation in your tote from smoking it that way maybe that's the reason. If you are smoking stuff over grass and it's damp out I'd say you could get moisture in the clothing which could cause that. Regular smoking of clean and dry clothes with warm dry smoke shouldn't cause that IMO.

MoonLab

Supporting Member
Tooville
Yeah I guess it's prolly from pulling out of the dryer and putting in the tote too soon, perhap? This time I re - washed and hung it up last night to let it dry. Should I let it leaving hanging up for couple days?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Never hurts to be outside for a couple of days. Just make sure you pull them off in the evening after they have dried from the morning dew.

MoonLab

Supporting Member
Tooville
Does anybody know what kind of hickory wood chips to burn? All they have at lowes is Cowboy 100% natural hickory wood chips