Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for some tips

Sandman

Hello everyone, new to the site and wanted to introduce myself before asking questions. My name is Kyle, 21, and I live in Richland County. Work at a steel mill. This is my second year hunting and my first one didn't go good, just learning the ropes. I got these trail camera pictures and my main question is...What would be the best time to try and sneak in to nail one of these bucks, I had my eye on the one with the wide rack, none of them look that old though because of the small body but then again I don't know. Bow hunting using a bear method with muzzy fixed blades, stand is back about 20 yards from where they're at in the picture. Any tips at All are greatly appreciated! IMG_62868273440217.jpegIMG_62880091902817.jpegIMG_62876632695474.jpegIMG_62886579651460.jpeg

teej89

NE PA
Welcome to the site! And my opinion is to not have your stand where your camera is. Find out where they're coming from to where your camera is and go about 100-200yds in that direction and hang a stand. If there's a pinch point/bottle neck/whatever you wanna call it in that direction like a hollow, high stream bank that forces them to one side, a saddle in a ridge then I'd set up in one of those areas. Those bucks are there past shooting hours so you have to cut them off prior to them getting to your cam.

And same goes for the morning pic you gotta find where they're leaving this site and going to and cut them off.

Also you have to be aware of the wind direction. You never want to set up up wind of where you feel they're going to be. I suggest buying a scent smoker, they really are a blessing. http://www.scentsmoker.com/

And consider the way you enter and exit the woods so you don't disturb the deer on your travel.

Good luck with them!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
TJ gave you some great advice. Focus on access routes that let you get in/out undetected and then find the right tree. Buy a Scent Smoker. It'll be the best $ you ever spend on hunting gear. As for when is the best time, I'd stay out of your best spots until the last weekend in October. Hunt the fringes early and gather Intel. Then as the rut approaches, begin to move in on them.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Sandman

Thanks for all the info. I've been practicing my shot as much as possible so hopefully if I get to take a shot I won't be so worried about it. The bucks look young, would you guys take one of them or wait and see if they're is an older guy later

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for all the info. I've been practicing my shot as much as possible so hopefully if I get to take a shot I won't be so worried about it. The bucks look young, would you guys take one of them or wait and see if they're is an older guy later

Bowhunter1023 doesn't care what I shoot. I don't care what Teej89 shoots. If one of those deer gets you excited, shoot him. Promise you this: Come on here and share the story about that first deer and nobody is going to care if it is 80" or 180" deer. We will all be happy for you. Welcome to TOO!

You have heard some good advice so far in my opinion. Good luck!

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Yup what those guys said, scent smoker and it's YOUR TROPHY and going on your wall. If the shot presents itself for which ever one YOU want to take then let it fly! Good luck and welcome!

As for the age of them, 2 look younger that the other. But I'm not the best judge. There are a few other guys on here that are pretty good at it..

Last edited:

rsmith

Welcome to TOO, great people on here and lots of knowledge is gained from here. I would do a couple things, one stay out of the area as much as possiable and keep your scent out of their, two is dont worry about what other people think are shooter bucks. Guys on here have 130-150 class dear and they say they need a pass for another year, which they may in some peoples eye and in others they are drooling when they seem a deer that large. Shoot the buck that gets you up out of your seat and shaking and gets your blood flowing. That big 8 is a good deer for sure but the only problem is that with older bucks become smarter and wiser bucks and they dont tend to slip up much besides during the rut. So I would personally go for whatever deer makes you happy but if you do persue the big 8 hunt that stand very lightly and hold out to the first frost and the rut to hunt it. Good luck this year and be sure to post a story when you make him take a dirt nap!