Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nuisance tag slaughter

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Does anybody know how many are issued per farmer? Is it damage dependent? What does deer damage look like? I know what coon damage looks like and think deer are blamed for it. The farm north of where I hunt had towers setup ( he doesn't allow deer hunting during season) and they apparently killed a dozen. A salesman at work hunts about 20 minutes away from there and his farmer killed 15. The worst part is he let them lay to rot like vermin. Someone help me better understand all of this because I'm fuming.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't have much time too comment but a farm I hunt was just issued 20 tags. He let's them lay after he shoots and he'll kill fawns also, he don't care. I won't be hunting there this year.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
As far as I know the number of tags are calculated for the acreage of the property. I know deer will chew the tops off bean plants and the silk ends off the corn cob.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Does anybody know how many are issued per farmer? Is it damage dependent? What does deer damage look like? I know what coon damage looks like and think deer are blamed for it. The farm north of where I hunt had towers setup ( he doesn't allow deer hunting during season) and they apparently killed a dozen. A salesman at work hunts about 20 minutes away from there and his farmer killed 15. The worst part is he let them lay to rot like vermin. Someone help me better understand all of this because I'm fuming.

chitty all the way around...People that are in need of food, could use the meat just as much as the corn or products that are made from soy beans.

I wonder if there is any chance that feed the hungry programs and local butchers could work out a "pick up" system for these types of situations?

rsmith

chitty all the way around...People that are in need of food, could use the meat just as much as the corn or products that are made from soy beans.

I wonder if there is any chance that feed the hungry programs and local butchers could work out a "pick up" system for these types of situations?
I never understood why they would let them to rot? Donate the meat to someone, I'm sure if he says I'm not cleanin it by if you want it here it is they will take it and clean it themselves. This irritates me they just leave them their. And teaming up with local butchers wouldn't be a bad idea, just pay a couple kids to pick bring them to the shop

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tags are given base on land size, amount of damage, and number of suspected deer. The warden has to come out an is supposed to do the inspection.

Now. Just because the farmer is given 20 tags doesn't mean they'll only kill 20 deer. They wound, purposefully gut shoot, and don't tag most of them. They just want a permit so it's legal to be out there at night with a rifle. Once they have that they're going to shoot as many as they want.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Tags are given base on land size, amount of damage, and number of suspected deer. The warden has to come out an is supposed to do the inspection.

Now. Just because the farmer is given 20 tags doesn't mean they'll only kill 20 deer. They wound, purposefully gut shoot, and don't tag most of them. They just want a permit so it's legal to be out there at night with a rifle. Once they have that they're going to shoot as many as they want.

This is my main concern. So how much of an impact does this have vs. hunters taking legal established bag limits? I feel sick to my stomach thinking about all of this, but I don't farm. Their must be a better way to deal with this. The guy who shot the 15 used an AK-47. The "by any means necessary" pisses me off too.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure of confidentiality legals here. I think I would call the local WO and ask him or her. If the WO isn't allowed to tell you, you aren't out anything. The other variable is how many tags go unfilled? I know a guy who got 5-6 tags issued. Was told to contact warden when he used them up and the warden would issue more. This guy never filled the first permit. I think it happens both ways. Some don't use them. Others abuse them. I won't throw all farmers under the bus on this one. They are trying to make a living also. Not allowing hunting and leaving the deer sit and rot does NOT sit well with me either. I would also be fuming over this.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Its a sickening thing to witness in some cases. I've been a hired gun and I didn't do it long cause it didn't feel right. The 260 acre dairy farm I hunt killed 100 in two summers. Ain't no way in hell deer were doing that much damage on his place.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
This is my main concern. So how much of an impact does this have vs. hunters taking legal established bag limits? I feel sick to my stomach thinking about all of this, but I don't farm. Their must be a better way to deal with this. The guy who shot the 15 used an AK-47. The "by any means necessary" pisses me off too.

Could be a huge impact. I know the area I hunt has 3 doe groups that overlap on the one farm. If a blind was setup in the right spot and they came out at night and started killing those does you could wipe out a good couple mile radius from doing kill permits.
You figure a couple hunters go hunt that property the most they could get is 6 doe a season but farmer Bill can shoot that many a night.
The core is your females and the males are just wonderers in a way. Does will have a core area and will not leave that area unless there is serious cause for them to do so. They tend to put up with a lot more BS in their home area then a buck will. Bucks will leave an area because of any number of reasons big or small so that's why I see them more as wonderers then the does. You figure a doe has a home range of 1-2 miles where a buck will roam from 1-4+ miles depending on the time of year. All that to say, Yeah, Kill permits can have a huge effect on deer in an area.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not sure of confidentiality legals here. I think I would call the local WO and ask him or her. If the WO isn't allowed to tell you, you aren't out anything. The other variable is how many tags go unfilled? I know a guy who got 5-6 tags issued. Was told to contact warden when he used them up and the warden would issue more. This guy never filled the first permit. I think it happens both ways. Some don't use them. Others abuse them. I won't throw all farmers under the bus on this one. They are trying to make a living also. Not allowing hunting and leaving the deer sit and rot does NOT sit well with me either. I would also be fuming over this.

Life is all about choices. If they choose to not allow hunting they have chosen to live with the deer and accept the damage. Remember a couple years ago with the DNR tried to create that website. Where vetted hunters and farmers could sign up and be paired together for hunting permission. It ultimately failed as thousands upon thousands of hunters signed up but only a handful of farmers. I think in order to get crop damage permits their participation in that program should have been mandatory. The DNR provided them a completely legal and vetted method for dealing with the deer population on their property. They chose not to participate and therefore should be disqualified from receiving damage permits. While I understand "they're just trying to make a living" they destroyed more been spraying them with a tractor then deer will ever do. Raccoons and groundhogs cause far far more damage than deer. Yet I don't see them complaining about that.

And while I am on my farmer soapbox. I believe that any farm selling grain that is capable of being exported should be removed from federal farm subsidies. When it's taken to the bin the former should have to make a decision if it is being sold before domestic or international use. Anyone selling grain for international use should be barred from receiving federal farm subsidies to include federal subsidies for crop insurance, reduced tax status on vehicles, property taxes, and tax-free fuel. The American taxpayer has no business subsidizing grain or farmers for China.

Last edited:

Strother23

Columbus, OH
It doesn't help that DNR hands out the permits like candy to farmers that ask. Then they allow the waste of the deer. It's a messed up program. Half the time it's other animals that do the damage to the crop and deer get the blame. It very frustrating but as of now there is nothing you can do about farmers that hunt deer with rifles and kill bunches of deer.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It depends on the local GW on the permits. It's tough as nails to get permits issued around here.
25 yrs. ago when I did permits for a large farmer under the eyes of the old GW each deer taken had to be reported within 24 hrs. of harvest. Every ounce of meat was saved and eaten.
The farm I did permits on was 200 ac. and only 75 ac. was farmable the other 125 ac. was brush. It was a deer hunters heaven come true. Seen deer every time out. We had 6 weeks to harvest the 5 deer we had permits for.
Then the farmer went off the deep and formed a Native Indian Club and had every poacher in the area shooting deer 12 months of the year. That's when I bought my farm and I walked (ran) away and wanted nothing to do with it.
Done the correct way it's a dream come true. But to just kill the deer to leave lay and rot is just wrong. IMHO

My in-laws got 20 permits between a 400 acre farm and another 500 acre agricultural lease. The warden came out to the farm house and issued the permits. He did not make any visual damage inspection. He told us if we filled the first 20 we could get more. With the wedding and flooding issues they were having know one bothered to kill any deer this year. I've been asked to do the shooting for them a few years but never have. Myself and a sheriffs deputy are the only people my wife's uncle trusts to hunt there. So if we don't hunt it no one does. This farm is in a pretty big urban area so it is one of the only large green spaces that isn't a golf course.