Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Both Eyes Open?

Treed

Stark County
I tried shooting with both eyes open tonight and it actually improved my shooting. I could also see my arrow flying. My groups got tighter right away, like the first time I tried it. I don't know if it was because I had already shot 50 shots or so and was getting tired or what but I'm definitely going to keep practicing with both eyes open. Those last 3 or 4 groups were my best of the night and I like it much better, it feels more natural and you have a much better FOV.
Does anybody else shoot with both eyes open?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will usually shoot both eyes open for shots less than 20 yds and/or in low light conditions. At further ranges however, I find I get better peep alignment with one eye closed, and as a result better groups.

Treed

Stark County
I was shooting at 20. I can't get much further than that in this yard and still have a backstop. I'll be down in Carrollton this weekend where I can stretch it out to 60. I'm curious to see how it works at longer ranges now. Thanks for posting that.

teej89

NE PA
I hear it's a lot better but me shooting right handed and being left eye dominant screws me if I ever want to shoot with both eyes. It definitely helps in low light and Because you have both eyes open your depth perception is a lot better too.

rsmith

I use to shoot one eye and now shoot both, my groups improved much better, I am able to see the pin and the arrow impact, and also it puts way less strain on my eye. I personally will never go back to one eye shooting, also I was left eye dominate and I shoot righty, I just train my eye to right eye dominate, it was hard but once you start shooting both eye it becomes easier and easier

Last edited:

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I have yet to shoot a deer with both open, but commonly practice with both open. I can def see better arrow flight and impact with the target. While hunting I usually open both a couple times while lining up the shot just to make sure my path is clear and then I go back to one eye and really try to focus on my spot. I plan to try both open on a deer soon.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
While hunting I usually open both a couple times while lining up the shot just to make sure my path is clear and then I go back to one eye and really try to focus on my spot.

This is how I practice. Once I anchor, I have both eyes open to acquire the target and check my level bubble. Once I start my final float on the target, I close my left eye right before the shot. For me, this helps slow down and focus my float. I've tried shooting with both eyes open and while it has its benefits, I don't feel quite as confident doing so.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I do. It is key, imo, to good follow through. It takes away to subconscious desire to peek.