Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trees - Where to buy?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm looking to start some long term projects on the farm next spring and a big part of this will be a pine planting, along with an orchard. We have a big bottom at our place that is roughly 50-75 yards wide and nearly 300 yards long. On the western most end of it, I am going to plant 2-3 rows of pines along the fence line, then leave a space about 20 yards wide to grow up in brush, then plant another 3-4 rows of pines. The idea being to create a small bedding area that will be directly adjacent to the largest food plot on the property. So I'm looking for suggestions on types of pines and good places to purchase them. Also, any suggestions on planting/protecting them are welcome.

We also have an area near the intersection of the two hollers on our place that is a 60 foot diameter circle. It sits directly in the middle of our farm and I'd like to turn this in to an orchard complete with apple, pear, and persimmon trees. I'm looking for good sources to acquire these, along with pointers on getting them started and protecting them. Our local Wal-Marts get some of the Biologic Native Nursery trees in, so I'm curious if any one has any experience with them.

Thanks!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I bought some from Wal-Mart and some from Tractor Supply. Wal-Mart fruit trees have done better. Actually produced fruit in year one. Nothing big, but something. Pine trees? Fastest growers which should do well in your soil would be white pine. Price varies based on size as always. Check nursery auctions in your area from now on out is my only suggestion since i am not familiar with nurseries in your area. Soil and water conservation office in the spring might be a source come March-April but they won't be very big. Cheap as dirt but only halfway to your knee I would guess.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks Phil. I'd like to keep it cheap on the pine front and figured white would probably be best. As fast as they grow, they'll be doing their job in no time! Plus I've already let that end of the bottom grow up, so I have some cover. I want the pines to provide visual cover from the neighbors, and from me when I'm accessing stands down there. I may use some switch grass down there in combo with the trees.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm looking to start some long term projects on the farm next spring and a big part of this will be a pine planting, along with an orchard. We have a big bottom at our place that is roughly 50-75 yards wide and nearly 300 yards long. On the western most end of it, I am going to plant 2-3 rows of pines along the fence line, then leave a space about 20 yards wide to grow up in brush, then plant another 3-4 rows of pines. The idea being to create a small bedding area that will be directly adjacent to the largest food plot on the property. So I'm looking for suggestions on types of pines and good places to purchase them. Also, any suggestions on planting/protecting them are welcome.

We also have an area near the intersection of the two hollers on our place that is a 60 foot diameter circle. It sits directly in the middle of our farm and I'd like to turn this in to an orchard complete with apple, pear, and persimmon trees. I'm looking for good sources to acquire these, along with pointers on getting them started and protecting them. Our local Wal-Marts get some of the Biologic Native Nursery trees in, so I'm curious if any one has any experience with them.

Thanks!
I have the Native Nursery trees and they did really well. I am pleased with them and would love to get more of them. I have chesnuts this year (yr 3) already. well worth the investment. I would visit your local nursery as they should be looking to mark down apple trees this time of year because they don't want to have to take them back to the bigger nursery to winter over.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Didn't think about the nursery for fruit trees. Good call Milo. Many of our local nurseries either blow them out cheap or run an auction in the fall. If you don't find any local deals, I will dig through my computer folders and see if I can find a supplier within a reasonable drive for you Jesse. Lots of our trees come out of MI. Most of my nursery suppliers are in the NE, or SW parts of Ohio.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I bought my Apple trees online from Willis Orchard. I got Arkansas Black and Red Rome Beauty trees. They ripen in mid to late October so they should be better for hunting over. I also got a couple of crab apple trees TOO. They are supposed to be the best pollinators. If you are wanting to hunt over your orchard I suggest doing some research on different types and when they ripen. Some varieties go better with others. You will need at least 2 types for best pollinization.

You can lay any type of fence (chicken wire, woven wire, snow fence) on the ground and the deer will not step on it to get to your trees......unless there is 8 inches of snow on top of it and they don't realize the fence is under their feet.

I also have a few pear and apple trees from Big Lots and Home Depot. They are growing good and hope they start producing next year.

I can't remember what company I got my persimmon trees from. I was a little disappointed because they were only 15 inches tall. It will be a long time before they produce. I did learn that below 26 degrees a persimmon leaf will die. Mine had just leafed out a week after I planted them last April and we had a 22 degree morning right after. I thought I lost them but after a few weeks they developed new leaves.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I bought my Apple trees online from Willis Orchard. I got Arkansas Black and Red Rome Beauty trees. They ripen in mid to late October so they should be better for hunting over. I also got a couple of crab apple trees TOO. They are supposed to be the best pollinators. If you are wanting to hunt over your orchard I suggest doing some research on different types and when they ripen. Some varieties go better with others. You will need at least 2 types for best pollinization.

You can lay any type of fence (chicken wire, woven wire, snow fence) on the ground and the deer will not step on it to get to your trees......unless there is 8 inches of snow on top of it and they don't realize the fence is under their feet.

I also have a few pear and apple trees from Big Lots and Home Depot. They are growing good and hope they start producing next year.

I can't remember what company I got my persimmon trees from. I was a little disappointed because they were only 15 inches tall. It will be a long time before they produce. I did learn that below 26 degrees a persimmon leaf will die. Mine had just leafed out a week after I planted them last April and we had a 22 degree morning right after. I thought I lost them but after a few weeks they developed new leaves.

i forgot where i read it at but persimmon trees take ten years to bear fruit...mine where right on track with that. i put mine in trees tubes to protect them from weather like that and deer...oh and my mower :) im going to check those apple trees out thanks for the tip. how were the quality of trees for willis?

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The trees from Willis are great. I got various sizes. Wish I had just spent the extra $$$ and got all larger trees to start with. If I order any more they will be 1 inch caliper.

Chestnut Hill Tree Farm is where I got my persimmon trees. They treated me great TOO.

Last edited:

whitetail_joe

I'm selling dunstan chestnut trees. They have been grown from seed and are around 2 1/2 feet tall now. The are $10 each or 3 for $25. I'm located in pike county if there is any interest

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Do the red cedar grow in your area? If so you probably can dig them free and easy to transplant. Then you would have extra cash for fruit trees.
Or come over and get some of my honeysuckle bushes, they grow fast and have 100's berries on each plant for next year.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm selling dunstan chestnut trees. They have been grown from seed and are around 2 1/2 feet tall now. The are $10 each or 3 for $25. I'm located in pike county if there is any interest
I've asked you before and I don't know if I missed your reply or lack thereof. Can you ship the trees?

whitetail_joe

I wouldn't know how to ship them. Where are you located at big slam and I will check with the local post office and/or ups and see if they have any ideas on how to ship and the cost. I've had several people north of columbus interested in them as well. If I could get a lot of people to buy at the same time I would bring them north or wherever but getting schedules and everyone on the same page
Is slim. Let me know your zipcode an I'll look into it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I wouldn't know how to ship them. Where are you located at big slam and I will check with the local post office and/or ups and see if they have any ideas on how to ship and the cost. I've had several people north of columbus interested in them as well. If I could get a lot of people to buy at the same time I would bring them north or wherever but getting schedules and everyone on the same page
Is slim. Let me know your zipcode an I'll look into it.
Zip code is 44662. Could you ship them in tree tubes? Chestnut hill folded cardboard around mine when they shipped from Florida.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Mine usually come with plastic bags and twist ties around the trunk of the tree to keep the soil on the roots. Works real
Good especially if you get the hydrogel