Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Hunter

CKelhoffer91

Hello all, new guy here and I've never been hunting but want to this year. I plan to start with squirrel hunting and have a few questions about small game hunting in Ohio and some about my gun as well. I'll make this easy for you guys so you can copy and paste the questions, and answer yes or no as you go down the list (answers can be more detailed than Just yes or no)

I just bought my first shotgun, an 18.5 Mossberg 500, and from what I've read you can hunt squirrel with this as long as you're using something between #4 and #6 shot. I would use my .22 but couldn't find ammo to save my life. So since you pretty much have a summary of my situation I'll start with the questions.

The Shotgun holds 6 rounds, am I able to use it as long as only 3 rounds are in the gun?

When hunting squirrel, what kind or permit do I need and do we tag squirrel?

I plan on getting a new barrel for the shotgun in the coming weeks, what length would you reccomend?

Can Rifled barrels shoot pellets? (Buckshot,Birdshot)

I know I have more questions I just can't think of them off the top of my head, so I'm sure I'll be asking more through out this thread. Also any extra info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to TOO. You have come to the right place for an education and entertainment.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Welcome to TOO!

Aim small, miss small. Lol
What ever gun you use to hunt with. Just spend time practicing with your gun. Any animal that you decide to shoot at, deserves a quick human kill.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Yeah, join the crowd with the .22 ammo. I think it's actually a myth and doesn't really exist. I wasn't aware there was a restriction on how many shells you could have in your gun for small game, I belted that is only for deer. You should be able to find some that will say on the box that they are for small game. I know Remington has 12 gauge small game shells. Not a good idea to put shot through a rifled barrel. It will come out the other end but will damage the rifling on the way. Not sure what options are available for barrel length for mossberg, but just a standard field barrel should do. It should have an interchangeable choke tube in the end, different chokes for different applications.

As stated above, hunters safety course is a must, and will answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck and welcome to TOO.