Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

this years rut predictions

higbee13

new jersey
Me and my buddy Just booked the cabin for this years trip to ohio...gonna go oct 29th til around nov 14th...whats everyone thinking is it gonna be happening before the harvest moon or after which is nov 6th this year...wayyy better then last years moon!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck on your hunt. I've never put much into the moon thing. But on the other hand it wasn't until 2012 I started bow hunting again and could hunt through the true rut. Gun season is the 1st week of December gun season only and that's after the true 1st rut here in Ohio.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sounds like your best time to hunt will be from Oct 29 - Nov 14. I'd be in the woods as much as possible during your time here. No sense in worrying about the moon when your time is limited.

nis1

I'll have nov 8th-16th off so I hope that's when they're runnin hard!

higbee13

new jersey
Thanks ...I always just plan my trips to ohio around Halloween n never really pay too much attention on the moon until last year ...that moon definitely played a factor being late as it was that was worst I've seen in years here in nj and in ohio...we went late last year the 10th til 24th...could've shot few around 120 but never seen anything bigger then that and absolutely no rutting activity...actually seen does bunched up together I was amazed but yeh this year should be rocking good luck to everyone

angelzd28

I dont pay much attention to the moon, just try to be in the woods as much as possible. Although last year i killed my big buck on Oct 27th and he was chasing a doe hard. Then the next night, drive by the same field I shot my deer in and saw two more good bucks chasing does. It just goes to show you gotta be in the woods cuz ya just never know. This year ill prob take off the fiirst week in November.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I dont pay much attention to the moon, just try to be in the woods as much as possible. Although last year i killed my big buck on Oct 27th and he was chasing a doe hard. Then the next night, drive by the same field I shot my deer in and saw two more good bucks chasing does. It just goes to show you gotta be in the woods cuz ya just never know. This year ill prob take off the fiirst week in November.

I shot my buck on Oct. 27th also in 2013. I only hunted Oct. 26-27 in the morning till noon and only seen 4 bucks and no does. That was from before sun up till noon each day. Shot my buck at about 10:30AM.

angelzd28

Yeah the buck I shot i had never seen before that evening, I was seeing a nice high tined 8 point i was after, and a monster buck i had only seen one time before, of course it was on the early muzzleloader weekend so that was pretty awesome. Im almost positive that my deer came from a neighboring property chasing that doe.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Yea last year during the "rut" I was in my stand when I had a 140"-150" 10pt run right under my stand at pretty much full speed the time I seen him and grab my bow he was gone. I never had him on camera before or after that and have yet to see him again. I don't know if he was killed or if he just has another home range far away.

Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
On my stepsons youth hunt last year, nov. 23rd I think, we saw some good rutting activity in an urban area...nice buck chasing a group of 4 does, at least one of them was hot...then we rattled in my stepsons first deer, who basically back-tracked the hot does right to 10yds from our blind...He is hooked for life!

Good luck on your trip to Ohio!