Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dove 2014

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Went and checked out the field we will be hunting and it looks like the opener is going to be pretty good!!! Noticed that the first half of the season runs all the way to nov. 9th this year. Anybody else going to be out tomorrow for opening day?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've never been on an organized dove hunt, but would like to one of these days. I just shoot them out of the backyard when they start hammering the pine trees.

What's the typical prime spot for hunting doves?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never been on an organized dove hunt, but would like to one of these days. I just shoot them out of the backyard when they start hammering the pine trees.

What's the typical prime spot for hunting doves?
It really depends. If you're hunting in the morning, you wanna find a good feed. Around here it's cut wheat fields, sileage, pickles, etc. Midday hunts are usually good if you find a good watering hole surrounded by bare dirt and/or dead trees. Evening hunts again cab be good for fees spots early, but later in the afternoon you wanna be close to a roost. Dove spots can be almost anywhere. You really gotta scout to find a high concentration of birds. Sometimes though it can be in the strangest places. Right along a road, or in someone's back yard, or an old-growth orchard.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
It really depends. If you're hunting in the morning, you wanna find a good feed. Around here it's cut wheat fields, sileage, pickles, etc. Midday hunts are usually good if you find a good watering hole surrounded by bare dirt and/or dead trees. Evening hunts again cab be good for fees spots early, but later in the afternoon you wanna be close to a roost. Dove spots can be almost anywhere. You really gotta scout to find a high concentration of birds. Sometimes though it can be in the strangest places. Right along a road, or in someone's back yard, or an old-growth orchard.

Cut wheat are what we hunt also. Cold fronts will push birds out but brings in fresh ones also.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Didn't get any pics but we had an 'alright' morning with the doves. We (5 of us) hunted a public field until about 10:00 oclock this morning. It wasn't near as fast-paced as years past, but it was fun. Most of the birds didn't make it through the gauntlet of the first half of the field... we were in the back so our opportunities were limited. Even so, we all ended up with at least 3 or 4 a piece, and my brother nearly hit double digits. I really didn't shoot much as I was concentrating on working the dog. Betty did great for us today, retrieving about 10-12 birds. She was a big help in retrieving the birds that dropped in the adjacent fencerows. All in all, a good day afield.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Brock, mason and an old buddy lathe and I hit paint creek this evening I shot 9, Brock and mason about 5-6 and lathe shot a box full. Was a good time with old friends. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409627488.941152.jpg

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Started slow then around eight it got nuts lol. I ended up with 15 and my buddy got nine. His lab got pretty heated running around but did great getting the ones that fell in the beans. Hope to get out a couple more times before the farmer plows the wheat stubble.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice work Zach! The heat is a bitch for these dogs... Fun to watch em work but it sucks carrying the extra water and what not around.