Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Transitioning from ladder stick to hang on

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I put up a 20 ft section of ladder sticks and then hung a stand. When I hung the stand, I used my linesman belt and my vest tethered to the tree. It was a bitch to do by myself. Anyway, in a hunting situation, what is the safest way to get up to this stand. I've always used my climbers or ladder stands.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
A retractable life line will keep you tied off at all times. Keep it hooked up when you climb down and hook it to one of the lower steps. When you come back hook up and climb. You stay tethered as you climb up, during your sit, as well as on the climb back down.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
A retractable life line will keep you tied off at all times. Keep it hooked up when you climb down and hook it to one of the lower steps. When you come back hook up and climb. You stay tethered as you climb up, during your sit, as well as on the climb back down.
This is the safest method.

Although not the safest, I feel confident I'm not going to get seriously hurt if something happens by using my line man's belt to climb, then upon reaching the stand, attach my vest tether above the stand before unhooking my belt.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
This is the safest method.

Although not the safest, I feel confident I'm not going to get seriously hurt if something happens by using my line man's belt to climb, then upon reaching the stand, attach my vest tether above the stand before unhooking my belt.

Did you read my story on the "what's good TOO?" thread? I think I'll be buying a lifeline!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Did you read my story on the "what's good TOO?" thread? I think I'll be buying a lifeline!
I did, and I'm paranoid about my equipment. I'm on a rope rescue team here at work, and they've beat it into our head to always check our equipment. I inspect my harness every day I use it. Also, be aware that there is a shelf life on your harness. Once it goes out of date, you should replace it.
Take a look at your harness next time you go out and check all the stitching, if it is frayed or missing, don't risk your life using it!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I did, and I'm paranoid about my equipment. I'm on a rope rescue team here at work, and they've beat it into our head to always check our equipment. I inspect my harness every day I use it. Also, be aware that there is a shelf life on your harness. Once it goes out of date, you should replace it.
Take a look at your harness next time you go out and check all the stitching, if it is frayed or missing, don't risk your life using it!

I should of checked my harness but I guess with it only being a year old I didn't think anything could be wrong. That was a lesson learned in my book!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
How about a lifeline using the prussic knot?
That's the knot they use on the lifeline. Absolutely.
I should of checked my harness but I guess with it only being a year old I didn't think anything could be wrong. That was a lesson learned in my book!
If it was only a year old, you need to be in contact with HSS. If it is in date, that is a pretty serious issue. Have any pics of the area? Check the date on the harness as well. I'm assuming you keep it out of the weather except for when used? Has the harness ever been under any type of shock load from a fall?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That's the knot they use on the lifeline. Absolutely.

If it was only a year old, you need to be in contact with HSS. If it is in date, that is a pretty serious issue. Have any pics of the area? Check the date on the harness as well. I'm assuming you keep it out of the weather except for when used? Has the harness ever been under any type of shock load from a fall?

It was a big game safety vest. I never let it out in the weather and its never been under a shock load from a fall. I only used it too hang treestands.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I used 5/8 rope for both the main line and the prussic knot. Is this acceptable? It is plenty to hold me up. I've seen people used 3/8 rope for the prussic but 3/8 is too light for my weight. uploadfromtaptalk1409493672423.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

Greg is the man when it comes to this...

Mike, I hate doing it. Best way is to do it with a buddy. Don't rush. If you feel yourself needing a breather, take one.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
When using my LW sticks I always use my linemans belt. If I'm using screw in steps or 20 foot sticks I always maintain three points of contact. When I reach the top I always secure my harness before transitioning. The best way I've found to do this is I screwed a 4 inch eyebolt above the stand on the ladder side of the tree. When I reach the top I snap the caribeaner that came with my harness into the eyebolt. If I am using my mobile set up I Snapit to the top strap of the stand before transitioning. This isn't optimal as you can stand straight up while getting in the stand, but it's better than being unsecured. It's like I tell Travis all the time it's mighty hard to chase bucks from a wheelchair, and that's if you're lucky.

All of our climbing stick sets have the Lifeline on them. There is no better peace of mind then knowing you are tied in all the way up and back down. The best part is once you are in the stand you don't have to unhook and re-hook into anything. I do spend the extra $$ and buy the HSS Lifelines as some rope some guys have recommended over the years wasn't actual climbing rope and I don't want to risk buying the wrong stuff. Real climbing rope isn't cheap either. Get your 20% off coupons for Dunhams and buy from there, usually ends up under $30.