Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Over hunting your tree stand

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Spot on Tay!

Not to get off track of over hunting a tree stand. That's just some good food for thought for hunting the rut. Smoking up is necessary if a person feels the need to hunt a particular stand more often than not.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I won't even go in without first smoking my clothes and gear under a tarp or in a bin and then at my destination.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Do u guys just use a bee smoker? And what wood is used? I'm not opposed to trying it. If it helps get a buck down and fill the freezer I'm willing to try.

Just seen the scent smoker thread. Ill just keep reading there

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Do u guys just use a bee smoker? And what wood is used? I'm not opposed to trying it. If it helps get a buck down and fill the freezer I'm willing to try.
I use a Bee smoker, but brock can get ya hooked up with a Scent Smoker. Typically Oak and Hickory are what is used. Apple works and Ive used Maple. But good hardwoods contain more of the chemical properties that kill the odor causing bacterias. And yea, I wont go into the woods without it. Too many instances to name when deer have been in direct downwind of me at a few yards and didn't have a clue

Treed

Stark County
I don't have a whole lot of land on the main property I hunt so I was forced to use just a few different sets over the season, rotating between them. I've gotta say, the smoke works well for this. I didn't see deer every time I was out but over the course of the entire season (I killed my buck on January 31st) I didn't really manage to blow out my sets either. The deer were still moving through and I was out there A LOT. In hindsight the smoke probably saved my season.