Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2014 Pics

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The latest batch is up for your viewing pleasure...

I'll start with a couple new bucks that have some solid potential. I'm digging this young 9-point and the 8 has a great frame to build on in coming years.

This is also a new guy with some potential. He and the deer I named Old Timer squared off over the corn 6 times that night...

We are on year 3 of our doe killing moratorium and it is starting to pay off. My best estimate at this point in time is that we have 4 mature does with 7 fawns on 150 acres and only one of the fawns in a BB. Nature has a way of balancing things out. We have a bunch of 1.5-3.5 year old bucks, but as of the 2012 season, we were down to 4-5 does total. Hopefully spring/summer inventory tells us we can harvest a doe or two next year.

We have plenty of turkeys however!

But not many of these. Very cool to see.

Here's looking at you kid!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We can't forget about Darryl Dawkins!

I'm not a fan of this situation. Old Timer pushed Darryl off the corn and it makes me a little nervous he could run him off the farm altogether.

This ranks as one of the better pics I've ever got of a target deer. I was elsewhere of course...

Work sucks. Not that I would have been in my stand overlooking this part of the bottom, but I can't kill them from my desk!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Pulled the stand the stand would have gave me a 35 yard shot at this deer at lunch and moved it to the farm. Spent the evening with the girls after having a shitty morning hunt here. I think this deer is only 3, so I'm not too terribly torn up. However I would have shot his ass in a heart beat.

[video]http://vid138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/bowhunter1023/PICT0006_zpsjlm1fsyk.mp4[/video]

This is the buck I saw last night. Looked better in the fading light and binos. This deer might only be 2.5 and I was really debating what to do in the tree. I was ready to rock and roll though, so I probably would have shot his ass if I could have convinced myself he was 3.

[video]http://vid138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/bowhunter1023/PICT0029_zpsxhdlafjx.mp4[/video]

The list of pictures/videos I have of shoulda/coulda/woulda been in X stand is sickening...

Huckleberry Finn

Good grief you get some awesome trail camera pictures. Ever thought about selling your bow for one of those Curran camera's and just selling pictures? That one buck is a good one...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
HA. Although no one has actually killed one, I've put as many people on big bucks than I've been on myself. One more thing to stick in my crawl!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I came along at a good time! Now I can define myself by being a father. I was defining myself as a bowhunter and that was not real flattering!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Can't believe I hadn't seen the latest batch of pics dude! You pulled in some great ones! Just keep plugging away buddy, it'll happen, this rut like all the others is long and bumpy. Good luck....hope you kill DD!

Some good bucks Jesse.

Just an observation. You beat yourself up much to often. If taking mature bucks was easy, we would all have trophy rooms with covered walls. We've all had the shoulda, woulda, coulda blind X scenario many times. I've always felt most hunting is more mental than physical. Keeping your head in the right place is the hardest thing to do. Feeling defeated at times is part of the game.

Keep your head up and don't give up. Sooner or later (maybe much later) it will all come together.

I feel for you guys that have larger tracts of land to hunt. The more choices for stand locations makes for to many stands IMO. Choosing the right stand to be in would drive me nuts. More often than not one would have to be in the wrong stand.

If it means anything, you made me a better, smarter hunter, even though you never knew it. I remember you posting one time about setting up observation and killing stands. That post got me to thinking. Since then I have always set my stands up to have deer be in killing range when they come by. I admit, I see less deer this way, but when one comes in front of my stand he will be in killing range. I just want to thank you for brining this to my attention. Even though you didn't realize you had done so.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The list of pictures/videos I have of shoulda/coulda/woulda been in X stand is sickening...

Man, that statement has summed up my last 7 Ohio seasons. Wish I could tell you that you are due and deserve a good one but deer hunting has nothing to do with "dues" or "deserves". I have learned that the hard way. Just go out and enjoy the hunt....I'm still working on that but I'm getting better at it.