Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2014 Pics

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Funny how things work in life. Because I saw the 9-point from the video I posted in my journal, I decided to forego sitting in the stand that is just to the upper left of this picture. So while I was chasing the 9 at my parents, the buck I'd really like to kill walked past one of my best stands at 30 yards. I have a bunch more daylight pics of him that I will put up later on. He's holding close, as is the 10 point he was with this summer. I also have pics of a 115-120" buck that could very well be 5-6 years old. There are several does hitting this bottom and this spot will be killer in another couple weeks. I can't wait to sit over a decoy down here the first weekend of November!

I was going to get out of the naming deer business, but this deer needs a name. Chocolate Thunder came to mind, so I'll call him Darryl Dawkins.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been patiently waiting for this old boy to show back up and he finally came through. He is a nice a buck as we've had in 3 seasons out there and really gets my blood pumping. Hoping he sticks around and makes a few appearances this fall!

This buck is still showing up and after much debate, I've decided to pass him this year and may ask my buddy to do the same. To me, he lost 20" visually from velvet to hard horn and shooting a low 130's 3.5 year old 10 point seems foolish given my overall goals. Despite only being 3, Darryl Dawkins turns my crank and he'll be my main focus at the farm this year. We usually get a few new bucks during the rut, so there is potential for us to encounter something older/bigger.

I'll have some more pics to share this weekend.

rsmith

I think you won't regret the decision at all, Darryl Dawkins is a stud buck and by the looks of him coming in during light it won't be long till someone gets a IKS thread for you! Best of luck to you

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I could have called you were going to pass on that deer. I know you too well via this forum! I just didnt see that being a deer youd be happy with at this given time.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here is the latest update. I'll start with a few more looks at Darryl Dawkins...

When I first laid eyes on this buck, I thought it could be Jack given the obvious age and shit genetics. After looking at pictures, I can't fathom a change this drastic from one year to the next. One thing is certain, this deer is fully mature!

This is from my honey hole. This buck won't score well, but he's 4 IMO and I love the brow tines. We'll see what he looks like in the woods before getting TOO carried away.

This old boy needs a little help on that one side!

This is the one I passed. If he is the same 10 that was coming in, he broke that end of the MB off between midnight and 8:59AM. If not, then I have a dandy 10 running around back here. None of the pics of the 10 are very clear and it is hard to tell much about him in regards to mass and width. I'm assuming it is this deer until I see differently.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
You got some nice ones running around. I believe I would have shot that last one if he came by me around here! Good luck on Daryl, he is a nice one.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great pics Jesse! Are you using a stic pic to mount your cams on or trees? DD is looking good! Great tine length too!