Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mountain Lion in Jefferson County

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wonder if they missed one during the big release a couple years ago? With as many critters as that guy had it wouldn't surprise me if they missed one or two critters.

Could be. I have seen tracks and scat in WV while dirt biking from big cats. Is it plausible they are expanding their territories? Matwan, WV is where I saw it. I mean, the bears keep spreading out, why not mountain lions too? Seems possible but I really don't know.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Got the story from the guy who posted on FB. Couple nights ago, around 11:00, he went out back to shut off his pool. He heard a low growl and then the distinctive sound they make when Penn State scores a TD. He didn't have a light or anything, but caught a glimpse of something big from the faint light off his porch, which is quite a distance away. The encounter is what prompted the call. Then, the next day he found the track.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Got the story from the guy who posted on FB. Couple nights ago, around 11:00, he went out back to shut off his pool. He heard a low growl and then the distinctive sound they make when Penn State scores a TD. He didn't have a light or anything, but caught a glimpse of something big from the faint light off his porch, which is quite a distance away. The encounter is what prompted the call. Then, the next day he found the track.

Cougar roar is what that is. Starts out as a low growl and ends with that type of sound. Would have had a few extra stripes in my shorts if I was in the dark and heard that lmao.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Pretty cool to have one around, in a creepy sorta way that involves it not being around my house! :)

Several years ago I went to NM elk hunting. There were 3 other men going out to hunt the same area from around here. I drove out by myself as I make better time and kept strange hours back in those days. I left home a couple of hours after the other fellas, but still arrived at our hunting area a full 8 hours ahead of them a short 25 hour drive later. I set up my camp, went for a look around, shot an elk and took off on the blood trail after dark. As I picked my way through the high desert armed with a mini-mag light and a longbow well after dark following the elk's trail, I found mountain lion tracks as he was trailing the same elk I was! It freaked me out, scared the crap out of me as I thought about my situation. There was not a soul on this Earth that would know where to find my body, heck I didn't even know where I was. All I knew was that I was no longer at the top of the food chain, and for the first time in my life I knew that "I'm being watched" feeling was likely there for a reason. Needless to say I made it back to my camp and was absolutely thrilled the next morning when my companions arrived. I didn't hug any of them, but it did cross my mind. Somehow, the thought of the neighborhood black bears never bothered me, but knowing there are lions around, and the fact that you cannot go anywhere out there without occasionally going under a rock overhang, is just unnerving.

We don't need a population of those things around Ohio. Shoot, shovel and shut up if given the opportunity! Our forefathers nearly wiped out the nation's predators with good reason! They belong in Zoos and magazines, not hanging out by your kid's trampoline. You don't need the permission of anyone to protect your kids IMO.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Pretty cool to have one around, in a creepy sorta way that involves it not being around my house! :)

Several years ago I went to NM elk hunting. There were 3 other men going out to hunt the same area from around here. I drove out by myself as I make better time and kept strange hours back in those days. I left home a couple of hours after the other fellas, but still arrived at our hunting area a full 8 hours ahead of them a short 25 hour drive later. I set up my camp, went for a look around, shot an elk and took off on the blood trail after dark. As I picked my way through the high desert armed with a mini-mag light and a longbow well after dark following the elk's trail, I found mountain lion tracks as he was trailing the same elk I was! It freaked me out, scared the crap out of me as I thought about my situation. There was not a soul on this Earth that would know where to find my body, heck I didn't even know where I was. All I knew was that I was no longer at the top of the food chain, and for the first time in my life I knew that "I'm being watched" feeling was likely there for a reason. Needless to say I made it back to my camp and was absolutely thrilled the next morning when my companions arrived. I didn't hug any of them, but it did cross my mind. Somehow, the thought of the neighborhood black bears never bothered me, but knowing there are lions around, and the fact that you cannot go anywhere out there without occasionally going under a rock overhang, is just unnerving.

We don't need a population of those things around Ohio. Shoot, shovel and shut up if given the opportunity! Our forefathers nearly wiped out the nation's predators with good reason! They belong in Zoos and magazines, not hanging out by your kid's trampoline. You don't need the permission of anyone to protect your kids IMO.
Did you get the Elk?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I've mentioned before that one of my close coworkers lives in Coschocton county, outside of Warsaw. He has claimed to see scat, hairballs, prints and hear big cat noises over the last year or so. He is a credible source of information (retired physics teacher), a hardy outdoorsman with horses, living the dream in their retirement home built about 6 years ago. Last winter, one of his amish neighbors dogs treed a mountain lion in the back yard and their son chased it off. I was bummed to hear noone got a shot or a picture.

He dropped by my work area a few days ago with the following pictures. Claims these prints were within 25yrds of where they were target shooting last weekend. There have been multiple sightings within 5 miles of his place. I fully expect to see this cat killed this fall/winter based on it's increasing boldness.

puma print 1.jpg
puma print 2.jpg