Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

shooting issues

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Decided to shoot a bit this morning. Right off the bat, my release gave me problems. It was like it was misfiring. I'd touch the trigger and there was a delay before it released. A few drops of oil seemed to remedy that but I had a couple flyers before I got it working right. When I found the flyers I gave em a flex test and had to toss one of them. I went ahead and flexed the others and had to throw another one away. At that point I said let's start from scratch. I got ALL my arrows out. Flexed and spin tested all of them. I ended up with 9 straight and uncracked arrows and tossed close to a dozen. Now I have a fetching job to do. Some of the good arrows need fletched, some have wraps, some have botched fletched jobs on them and need redone, some have quickfletch. I think I would like them to all be the same. Debating on replacing my broken fetching jig or getting some quickfletches.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. It's good you are getting things together now though. And I think getting a new fletching jig is the way to go and make all the arrows the same.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Quickfletch, unless you have a whisker biscuit...when I had a WB, I tried putting the glue on the front of the vanes but they still tore apart anyway.

I say quickfletch only because time is of the essence this time of year. Although most prefer wraps and vanes or just vanes fletched, I am not having issues with quicklfetches right now.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I have had good luck with the quickfletch in my biscuit . I did have 2 that came apart but it was my fault, I dipped them too fast and had air bubbles in them two and they only lasted a few months. But the others have held up great.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Get yourself an Arizona EZ Fletch, Dante. Cheap and incredibly easy to use. Acetone, Loctite Ultra Gel Control super glue, Blazers, and an EZ Fletch jig. It's all you need my man. Strip 'em and refletch.

I do find it interesting how you had that many bad arrows, though. Were they really old?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I think from now on, when I buy arrows, I'm taking my spin tester with me and spinning them before I pick out the ones I want.

dante you should just come and see me and i will help you out. I will teach you my method for getting them ready to go. spin testers are great but they are better off just used on broadheads.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Some were about 4 or 5 years old, some were from last year. The older ones were actually the straighter ones. I didn't throw them away, just set them aside.

I need to come see you anyway milo. My son picked up a bow today and I would like to bring him by to have it skeeterized. I could bring those arrays with me if that would be cool.

I agree Acetone an Loctite Ultra Gel Control super glue are must.I really like using plain colored wraps,as I feel it makes fletching easier and it allows me to cheat on shaft prep :smiley_crocodile: .As for vanes/feathers,jigs an what fletching orientation.We could debate that for weeks..The Bohning helix jig for 38$ shipped on amazon or the normal style bohning pro jig from bowhunterssupplystore.com for 30$ shipped are the best I found for under 40$ I have found.Last year I discoverd flex fletch products an I am beyond impressed with the Sk300 and Sk200 vanes. .Im a big fan of some sort of arrow squaring device as well..Squaring both ends of the shaft after cutting an squaring the insert after gluing it in are pretty important in my book..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Some were about 4 or 5 years old, some were from last year. The older ones were actually the straighter ones. I didn't throw them away, just set them aside.

I need to come see you anyway milo. My son picked up a bow today and I would like to bring him by to have it skeeterized. I could bring those arrays with me if that would be cool.
of course bud that's fine . Just set up a time with me and we will get them all done.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Get yourself an Arizona EZ Fletch, Dante. Cheap and incredibly easy to use. Acetone, Loctite Ultra Gel Control super glue, Blazers, and an EZ Fletch jig. It's all you need my man. Strip 'em and refletch.

I do find it interesting how you had that many bad arrows, though. Were they really old?
Agreed. I like my Bitz, but the EZ Fletch is a great way to go as well. Love Blazers and the Loctite Gel also. Used to love wraps until I'd stripped a few hundred arrows with them. Enough of that nonsense!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Picked up the ez fletch, (actually a replacment for one I broke in the spring) a can of acetone and a tube of loctite control gel. I am impressed with the loctite. The reason my last ez fletch broke was because of the buildup of excess glue in the hinges.could never get a fine enough bead and got it all over the place. The acetone did a great job of preping the shafts. How do you go about cleaning the glue off of the jig though? I tried a q tip and accetone, but it didn't do a very good job.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Used to love wraps until I'd stripped a few hundred arrows with them. Enough of that nonsense!

I had a few of those as well. I also picked up a fetching stripper. Found that it would take off most of the wrap, the acetone got the rest of it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Picked up the ez fletch, (actually a replacment for one I broke in the spring) a can of acetone and a tube of loctite control gel. I am impressed with the loctite. The reason my last ez fletch broke was because of the buildup of excess glue in the hinges.could never get a fine enough bead and got it all over the place. The acetone did a great job of preping the shafts. How do you go about cleaning the glue off of the jig though? I tried a q tip and accetone, but it didn't do a very good job.
throw the whole jig in some acetone. The plastic is not effected by it. If you don't believe me I will throw mine in first and take a picture

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
throw the whole jig in some acetone. The plastic is not effected by it. If you don't believe me I will throw mine in first and take a picture

Lol... I believe you. Thought about it but wasn't sure if it would hurt the plastic.